TDSZ2 - Not Working from new !

lav180

1 mW
Hi All,

Just joined forum and am new to electric bikes.

Bought a TSDZ2 8 pin with the VLDC5 and thumb throttle from PSWSPOWER in China along with a battery for my wifes bike.

Goods arrived OK and I charged the battery for 10 hours.

Fitted the kit to the bik without testing before hand - after getting all wires connected I then went for a spin and no assistance, tried the thumb throttle and again no assistance.

Took the kit off of the bike and tried the thumb throttle and the motor doesn't spin.

The VLDC5 lights up and all icons are where they should be according to the various pictures I've seen on the web.

Contacted seller and they said they'll replace faulty part FOC but need to know which bit is duff and suggested taking it to a bike shop so they could test.

So does anyone here know:

1, Is there something I may have missed?

2, Anything I can do to test the individual parts?

3, A bike shop that will be able to carry testing.

I'm based in Chelmsford in Essex

Thanks for looking.

Pete

Is it a 36V ot 48V motor kit and do you have a multimeter to check the battery voltage?

Do you have the included brake levers attached? If you have then test the motor with them unplugged.

Hi Ilu
It was bought as a 48V kit.
The battery is showing 55V so assume that there's a controller to control the input voltage somewhere in the motor.
I've just tried unplugging everything and then plugging it all bac, no pins broken on any connector - I did try it without the levers attached and same result on the thumb throttle the motor doesn't spin :evil:
It should have been a straight forward install (I run a classic car so know about things that don't work !) the instructions were followed and it's been dead from day one!!
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Cheers,
Pete

It is possible that the battery voltage is too high, I think some people have had that problem with 48V rated batteries. The 48V nominal battery usually means 13 cells (18560 type) in series (13S). The voltage range in these batteries is around 39-55V, but usually the maximum charge is limited to 54.6V (4.2V per cell).

I'm not sure what the overcharge cut-off is in the factory firmware, but it might be as low as 55V, and I think there's no error code for that in VLCD5. If you have another ebike you could try to drain the battery a bit, or use another test load like a light bulb to bring the voltage down.

Hi Ilu,
Thanks for the information :thumb:
I don't have a another e-bike as this is the firsct conversion I've carried out.
If the battery has too much voltage then that would happen each time it's charged and then I'd have to drain it each time before use to get it down to 48V :confused:

I would've thought there should be a controller doing this work somewhere in the system ?

I may give it a go just to see whilst waiting for PswPower to come up with something but I don't see that as a long term solution.

Cheers,
Pete

Yes if my guess is correct then the problem would be your charger providing slightly too high voltage, which might be possible to adjust by opening it and turning a trim pot. I remember this has been discussed in the main thread but that is quite long to go through. The overvoltage cutoff is a software feature, the controller itself can handle up to 60V. Open Source Firmware let's you change the cutoff yourself, but that's something to consider only once you have a working motor without any modifications.

Anyway you could also try to activate the motor without the display. If you connect with a jumper the red wire to blue wire according to image below, the motor should work by pedalling, or by connecting 5V to throttle wire. But be really careful with this as you can also fry the controller if you connect the battery voltage to wrong input, and naturally test the lines first that they match the image!
TSDZ2_8Pin_Connector_Higo_B8_Cable_Map_2.jpg

Hi Ilu,
I've got a light running on the battery at the moment to drain off some excess before going down this route.
I'll keep an eye on the battery and when it hits the magic number I'll try the thumb throttle again and update you with progress.
The display appears to do everything but run the motor !! as you can see from the picture.20210423_155947.jpg
Thanks for your help - which is way more than the suppliers who've not even read my posts after 6 hours!
Cheers,
Pete

Hi,
I may have found the underlying issue!
I ordered a 48V 500w motor - they sent everything and i assumed (yes I know !) they delivered a 48V 500w motor but NO they've delivered a 36V unit !
Yes I should've checked but we shall see what PswPower say about the mix up
20210423_170927.jpg
Pete

Okay so definitely overvoltage issue :D You could get it running by draining the battery below 42V but it might take a couple of days with the bike light :p

It is possible to run the 36V motor with 48V battery, but that would require updating the controller firmware, either to OSF or stock 48V version. For that you would need a STLinkV2 adapter and some computer work, and it would void any warranty you get from pswpower. But I'd say it is actually better combination, because then the motor works with higher cadence than by default. Personally I run a 36V motor with 52V battery in my mountain bike.

edit: there's a new version of the controller available from some dealers, although so far pswpower has been selling the old version. For the new one there's not yet established any way for users to update the firmware. So to play it safe it's best to wait for pswpower to fix their mistake, but if you happen to get an extra controller or motor you can do some experimenting :)

Hi Ilu,
Thanks for your help.
Still not heard from PswPower - so I'll give it until Monday afternoon and then take it from there.
I'll leave the light on over the weekend and see where the battery is Monday morning :D
Cheers,
Pete

Hi,

I've provided a ton of proof that they sent the wrong the unit ! - Just waiting to hear what they intend to do about it .. I think they've all gone home now. It's taken way too long to get to this point but I'm hopeful they'll do the right thing and send out a 48V motor.. Will update when I get more news from China.

Pete

I'm sending the motor back - pswpower are the WORST company to deal with ABSOLUTELY disgusted with their behaviour - They screw up and do NOTHING to rectify their mistake. AVOID them at ALL COSTS

Does any one here know of a decent company to deal with as I'll be sending the unit back and want nothing more to do with them.
It would've been so easy for them to apologise and send the correct unit out but no, lets go through pointless hoops and P*ss our customers off - utter morons

Back