Dual hub motor issue

AllfatherKin

1 µW
I purchased an Ebike (Maxfoot 26inch FatTire MF-18P) about a year ago and am absolutely loving it! Unfortunately however it only came with a 750w 48v rear hub motor and with my size being just south of 300lbs, it feels a bit underpowered for me. I did a small bit of research and thought that adding a second fully independent system for a front hub motor (1000w 48V) would help share the load to get me up to speed and up those hills. I created a physical connection between the two throttles (each had exactly 1 1/8 inch of travel). After completing the install I went out for a rather underwhelming first test ride. I could feel the two motors almost fighting with each other and it really slowed my acceleration, as well, I expected a slight increase in top speed but again felt the two fighting each other and had a lower top speed than before. At this point I’m not sure what to do and hope someone can help me get this system working harmoniously.

Use one throttle. Split the signal and ground wires and connect to both controllers, but use the +5V wire from only one controller.

Are you using a second battery for your second motor?

Unless you have 2 identical motors & controllers, the best way to get 2 motors to run together is either to use a controllers which have torque based throttle command or use Cycle Analysts or other similar devices that allows you to control the power going to each motor. (Most cheap controllers work with a speed based throttle control, which means it's highly unlikely that they will give a balanced output, unless they're identical).

The other things that will affect how your system performs are battery voltages, motor gearing an motor windings (RPM/volt).

Back