Another fried Cycle Analyst?

Limbs

1 W
Hi all,
I have twin motored bike, with twin PhaseRunners & twin CA3-WP and MFSwitches, yesterday I was carrying out some tests to try to find the root of a PAS system problem that I have, this involved connecting/disconnecting/swapping throttle, PAS & brake connectors about a bit. I had the front system turned off, for some time, whilst concentrating on the rear system & was getting to the bottom of the PAS system problem, but when I tried to turn the front system back on, I got nothing from the CA. My PhaseRunners are enclosed in a case, so I could not easily see whether or not that was powering up & as it was getting late, I decided to leave it until today.

Having opened up the case, so that I could see what was going on with the PhaseRunner this morning, I could see that the MFSwitch was still managing to turn it on & off OK, so I checked some voltages on the CA’s connectors; I am getting nothing on the 10v PAS supply & 0.27 volts on the various 5v supplies. I am not aware of having done wrong, but assuming that I did, the only thing that I can think that I might have done, is got the wrong pin in the wrong place whilst connecting the PAS connector, thus shorting the 10v supply to ground.

I’ve had a look around on here & I found this thread about shorting out the 10v supply and frying the reverse protection diode; https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&start=2600#p992104, but the images of the circuit board are of a revision 2 board, mine is different, being revision 3.

So the questions are:
1) If I have cooked the 10v reverse protection diode, does it also take out the 5v supply & also the display (getting nothing here, no characters & no backlight)?
2) Anyone got any idea where the reverse protection diode is on a revision 3 circuit board?

OK, so today I spent some more time looking at this & whilst mine is a revision 3 board, I was mistaken yesterday & it is actually the same in the area of the D3 diode. :oops:

Having said that, when I bypass the diode, I get nothing, except that is, a burning smell, so I think it has more damage than simply the diode! :roll:

When I provide 12v direct to the "LED +" as described in this post: https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19540&start=25, the LED lights up with the message "Slow Pwr Up".

I got one in the same condition. Fried two like this.

I think it was the incompatibility of the CA voltage regulation, accessory current demands, and the 72v I as running.

Tracked it down just like you. The diode was blown, and on one it took out the screen and the other it did not, but stunk. I do not know what the original damage encompassed.

I would love to know how to fix this too.

So, some more playing with it this afternoon and I realised that in addition to supplying the "LCD +" terminal with 12v, the unit also needs the main battery power to be connected. It now seems to work OK & even has 4.95v on the 5v outputs, though I have not actually fully tested it in action yet as I ran out of time, will report back tomorrow. As luck would have it, when I built my battery, I incorporated a 60v to 12v DC-DC converter, so it was not trouble to wire that in.

I still have no 10v output, but I don't need that anyway and now regretting not disconnecting it, internally, at an earlier date!

DogDipstick said:
I think it was the incompatibility of the CA voltage regulation, accessory current demands, and the 72v I as running.
Yes, you have very little scope for running ancillary devices @ 72v, you really need to use an external 5v supply or DC-DC converter. I am currently running one system @ 36v & the other @ 52v, but I do intend to replace the 36v with 72v at some point, I will then add a 5v DC-DC converter to each battery & a switch, so that I can chose which battery is supplying the 5v.

Back