New to ebikes. Controller question

Greg687

100 µW
Hello all. I am new here, and a longtime pedal powered cyclist, and am getting into e-bikes in a roundabout way. I bought a Bafang rear hub retro kit for my wife's mtb (more on that in another post) and it's really cool. Then I saw one of those Wal-Mart Hyper bikes on Marketplace for $200. The PAS did not work, but everything powers on on the battery and the little handlebar controller. I figured I'd give it a shot as a foray into working on these things. I bought a "tester" and I have found that the motor phases are good, the brake halls are good, but I am still working on testing the motor halls(trying to connect those little wires is a pain), and the PAS hall is doing nothing. Also, the controller power outputs (red and black) to the halls are only putting out .02 volts on my DMM. I'm thinking that's bad as it's supposed to be 5V, correct? I've ordered a PAS sensor, no harm in having a spare if that's not the problem, but I don't want to order the controller unless I have to, and then, when I do, I'd like to get something a little more robust so I can do some upgrades to this thing down the road.
Thank you all in advance. I've really enjoyed lurking the forums and learning all I can about this new and growing field.

So, to update my post...

Blown controller. I could not see anything burnt on the board, but I bought a KT 36v controller, and then had to buy the handlebar control that worked with the KT. System not works. Not a lot of power, as expected, and I did have to switch some wires around as the motor was turning backwards, but it's alive!

Back