magnet ring possibly backwards? bionx

jawshnitzel

10 mW
ive been working on this bionx motor. i completely disassembled it and rewired it.

while doing so i had to remove the ring of magnets. i epoxy'd it back in and sealed it up upon reassembly.

however, i did not pay attention to the top / bottom of the magnet ring and it could possibly be in backwards.

from my research, it seems it should have an even # of magnets. so then maybe it doesnt matter if it got put in backwards???

the reason i ask,,,, i can make the motor spin the wrong way VERY silently and smooth. but no matter what combination of halls / phase wires i cannot make it run this quiet and smooth in the proper rotation. ive used flow charts and wrote down every combination. still a bit noisier in forward vs reverse.

any advice greatly appreciated!

shnitzel

it is very important to observe the polarity, it is very simple to check; you straighten the magnets, take the same magnet and lead it along the surface through one, they should repel and attract, if one magnet does not stand correctly, the engine will growl.

jawshnitzel said:
ive been working on this bionx motor. i completely disassembled it and rewired it.

while doing so i had to remove the ring of magnets. i epoxy'd it back in and sealed it up upon reassembly.

however, i did not pay attention to the top / bottom of the magnet ring and it could possibly be in backwards.

from my research, it seems it should have an even # of magnets. so then maybe it doesnt matter if it got put in backwards???

the reason i ask,,,, i can make the motor spin the wrong way VERY silently and smooth. but no matter what combination of halls / phase wires i cannot make it run this quiet and smooth in the proper rotation. ive used flow charts and wrote down every combination. still a bit noisier in forward vs reverse.

any advice greatly appreciated!

shnitzel
My understanding is that the magnets are oriented radially, with alternating poles, so it shouldn't matter which way you assembled it. Given that you found a combo that's smooth, I'd first try the simple fix, located in the bottom right of this flow chart:
HRaeRi4.jpg

If that doesn't work, then perhaps the next simplest would be to remove both side covers and stator, and flip the stator and covers relative to the rotor/wheel (if you can't figure out a technical/wiring solution).

Back