Magic pie 2 with ext control and v3.14 CA

hugh21

1 mW
I built a delta trike, 2wd. Pedal power runs the left rear wheel via a jackshaft. The right is a Magic Pie 2 direct drive 1000 watt. Golden Motor CA sold me the CA version 3.14 along with the Grin 12 pole 2 wire sensor disc. The salesperson said the CA and disc were needed to have a working PAS. However I cannot get the PAS to work. The throttle works. I set the PAS exactly as the supplied booklet said and watched a video by Justin to confirm the right steps were followed. With the Magic Pie I was told to cut the green throttle wire on the handlebar, and cut the green throttle wire going into the analyst, then splice the 2 together.

Then run a wire from the supplied Grin shunt to splice the green wire from the shunt to the other end of the cut throttle green wire. In effect running the throttle wire into the analyst and the other side down to the shunt. The other side of the shunt has a supplied connector that plugs into the analyst. Hoping maybe some one here might have experienced this and be able to offer some tips.

Golden Motor CA does not want to talk to me in person, insisting on using a ticket system where I email them about the problem and they reply usually a day later. They are trying to help but its slow and we are coming up on a couple weeks with zero progress

hugh21 said:
With the Magic Pie I was told to cut the green throttle wire on the handlebar, and cut the green throttle wire going into the analyst, then splice the 2 together.

Then run a wire from the supplied Grin shunt to splice the green wire from the shunt to the other end of the cut throttle green wire.

Golden Motor CA does not want to talk to me in person, insisting on using a ticket system where I email them about the problem and they reply usually a day later. They are trying to help but its slow and we are coming up on a couple weeks with zero progress
Sounds odd. Any chance you can paste/post their email reply/instructions?

I have 20 replies from them. A typical reply is Can you post picture's of your controller's wiring and the cycle analyst's wiring? My reply was to post 5 pictures of the wiring. A day later - It looks like the horn is not connected properly, also watch these 2 videos from Grin on how to hook up and set up the cycle analyst.
My reply - the horn works, it's a red connector plugged unto a red connector labelled HORN. And I have watched those videos several times and followed the steps and still no PAS that makes the wheel spin.
On screen 3 of the analyst when I spin the cranks there are 2 icons labelled P and D. P moves up first followed by D and they cycle up and down as explained in Grin's video. The right side of the screen shows the human watts generated. but still no PAS activation of the motor.
I now feel that trying to get the PAS system to work is a complete waste of my time. I will use the Cycle analyst as a battery power gauge and speedometer and be happy with that. Since the throttle works the motor can supply assist by using the throttle. I do have a Bafang geared rear hub I was using, it was great except the factory had not cut enough threads into the spokes to allow proper tensioning. After a couple rides there was a pinging noise whenever riding and all the spokes were loose. It was taken to the LBS and they told me they could not tighten the spokes any further. Before spokes started breaking I removed the wheel. I'm going to take a measurement of those spokes and order some properly sized ones from Grin. And then take the Magic Pie unit off, put it in a box for some future project.

Sorry, I just wanted to see exactly what they said when you wrote this:

"With the Magic Pie I was told to cut the green throttle wire on the handlebar, and cut the green throttle wire going into the analyst, then splice the 2 together.

Then run a wire from the supplied Grin shunt to splice the green wire from the shunt to the other end of the cut throttle green wire."

I'm better with pictures, so just to confirm how it's currently wired, you have the wiring between your CA and Magic Pie controller attached in this way (the controller in your case is the MP controller):
Controller connect.jpg

And your throttle and PAS are connected to the CA like this (Grin PAS sensor connected to the PAS connector):
throttle and pas.jpg

And the PAS icons on the display are alternating, so the Grin PAS sensor seems to be configured (Basic PAS, and the rest of the sensor settings assumed working) in the SETUP PAS DEVICE screen. On the PAS Configuration screen, you have selected Basic (Pwr), and have a start level of some level of watts. Alternatively, you could be set to Basic (Tho), with a start level percentage.

Is this the current state?

The magic pie throttle connects directly to the Magic Pie controller using their connectors which are different than the ones Grin uses. Info in the GRIN 3.14 booklet supplied says for the cycle analyst to read voltage, etc you must at least run the green throttle wire through the cycle analyst. Info supplied by Golden Motor says to expose the wires coming out of the throttle and splice the green wire from the throttle side to the green wire in the black 3 prong cycle analyst plug. The wiring harness side of the green wire you cut gets connected to the shunts green wire. Golden Motors said to only connect to the green shunt wire and ignore the other 2.

That is what I did, the throttle works, and when I pedal without using throttle the CA registers human watts but the wheel doesn't turn. On screen 3 of the CA there are 2 icons labelled P and D which cycle up and down when pedaling. These also work. It just doesn,t send a signal to power up the wheel. After many communications Golden Motor said it may be a programming issue - which would be on me - and asked I box up and send them the PAS sensor, throttle, controller, Cycle Analyst and horn switch and they would check it to see if they could correct any issues.

So today I sent those parts, still hooked up together back to them to see if my problem can be fixed.

hugh21 said:
So today I sent those parts, still hooked up together back to them to see if my problem can be fixed.

So your PAS setting were as I described above? (even it the PAS sensor is setup and indicating it works, PAS doesn't turn on unless you set it to either Basic (Pwr) or Basic(Tho) AND set a starting wattage. I turn the PAS Configuration setting to disabled when I don't want to use PAS (off road), and set to Basic (Pwr) to turn it on.

The PAS setting was Basic (Pwr) but I did not set a starting wattage. In the setup menu I configured the battery, and set the PAS specs but at the time thought all the other important specs were set. You may have just nailed it. Either way, it is now on it's way back to the dealer.

hugh21 said:
The PAS setting was Basic (Pwr) but I did not set a starting wattage. In the setup menu I configured the battery, and set the PAS specs but at the time thought all the other important specs were set. You may have just nailed it. Either way, it is now on it's way back to the dealer.

Ya, the other way of turning off PAS, when I was using the analog aux input to control PAS power levels, was to turn the knob down to 0W, which effectively disabled PAS. Hope it all works out and you get back to riding.

No worries about riding. I built 2 delta trikes. The one I use most has 20" wheels and runs a BBS02 with a 50T narrow/wide chainring. It is my go to ride, nice and low and though a bit heavy rides along at a nice steady 20 kph on the flat. The 2wd drive version with the Magic Pie motor was built as a test bed to see if my 2wd idea would work. They are both just shy of 8' long but the 2wd version sits higher, has a removeable roof and is more of a cruising platform. It's height makes it a bit tippy and requires care and caution. Note, it,s not unstable , I just need to avoid some off camber and fast corners. And if trail riding is called for there is always the BBSHD powered fat bike. I meet a group of friends on Wednesdays for those rides but covid has shut that down for now.

Back