Motor not running, are my components compatible?

Hifno

1 µW
I had a Swytch bike kit but the battery/controller pack got stolen. I decided to try to buy a separate controller and battery to be able to use the existing motor. I thought I got all the required elements but when I put it together, the motor does not run. Here is what I have:

Original Swytch motor is a AKM 100SX, like this https://m.aliexpress.com/i/4000057871944.html

New controller: KT 36/48ZWSR-ffF02 with the waterproof Julet connectors already attached (so I don’t know the exact wire pin configuration)

Display is KT 900s

No throttle connection, only using a standard magnetic pedal sensor.

When I turn the system on, the display lights up, and when I turn the pedals the red LED on the pedal sensor does turn on. But the motor wheel does not turn at all.

What are some possible reasons why it does not run? Could the display be incompatible? Do I need to have a throttle? Is the controller not compatible with the motor? I haven’t yet tested the wires because that would require cutting the julet connectors off and I’d like to tile out other possible issues first.

Hifno said:
I had a Swytch bike kit but the battery/controller pack got stolen. I decided to try to buy a separate controller and battery to be able to use the existing motor. I thought I got all the required elements but when I put it together, the motor does not run. Here is what I have:

Original Swytch motor is a AKM 100SX, like this https://m.aliexpress.com/i/4000057871944.html

New controller: KT 36/48ZWSR-ffF02 with the waterproof Julet connectors already attached (so I don’t know the exact wire pin configuration)

Display is KT 900s

No throttle connection, only using a standard magnetic pedal sensor.

When I turn the system on, the display lights up, and when I turn the pedals the red LED on the pedal sensor does turn on. But the motor wheel does not turn at all.

What are some possible reasons why it does not run? Could the display be incompatible? Do I need to have a throttle? Is the controller not compatible with the motor? I haven’t yet tested the wires because that would require cutting the julet connectors off and I’d like to tile out other possible issues first.

Likely the hall sensor wiring combination to the motor needs to be changed, but you might want more input before chopping off the connector.

https://www.pedelecforum.de/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&w=605&h=700&tok=537d5d&media=tipps:motorphasen-_und_hallsensoren_anschlussreihenfolge_herausfinden.png

Hifno said:
Would it be the hall sensor wires or the phase wires? That diagram seems to indicate switching the phase wires.

Initially yes, but you have to be lucky for the motor to run smoothly and in the right direction after just that switch. Also, you have to make sure your +5V and ground are connected correctly first.

Let's start by assuming the motor is correct, because it is using a 9 pin connector, and that usually follows a standard. I bought an AKM100 back in early 2019, with a 9 pin waterproof cable, and it matched my KT controllers perfectly. In fact, every motor I've seen with a 9 pin cable has the same pin order. Maybe your PAS sensor is wired different from what KT expects. No standard on Julet connectors for sensors,

Go into walk mode on the 900S display. That would be holding the down button for a few seconds. If the motor goes into walk mode, then the motor cable is correct. Another thing you could do is spin the front wheel forward by hand, and the 900S should show some speed indication,

I hope this works, because it's a big mess if the motor connections are not right, and would shake my view of order in the 9 pin cable universe.

But if it does, then you can either buy the PAS sensor sold for the KT controller (order a throttle too?) , or try to figure out the wiring on the Swytch sensor.

Ok yes, great advice. The motor does work so the issue is the PAS. I’ll probably just buy a new PAS. But a couple questions:

- how do I know if the new PAS is wired correctly? Is there a standard wiring for 3pin Julet specifically for KT controllers?

- if I do wire it myself, can I just experiment with all the different wiring combinations? Or is there one bad configuration that might damage something that I need to be careful of?

Back