Cyclon 3000w Motor Problem

Yer bike busted? tell us all about it here.
TS81   1 µW

1 µW

Cyclon 3000w Motor Problem

Post by TS81 » Jul 27 2021 12:04pm

Hi,

I have a self build ebike with the cyclon 3000w motor. The motor worked fine for approximatly more than 5000KM. I recently had to replace the geards from the reduction drive. After that it worked fine again.
Recently I drove a steep uphill path. Suddently the motor stopped. It still workes if it is moved a bit. Also power and top speed was reduced to about 25%. Later on I found that one of the three power kables for the motor melted. No the cable but the jack. So only two of three phase were connected. But after fixing this problem it still does not work. I consumes power, but the moter does not move at all. But the motor makes some sounds. I fear I broke the motor (maybe overheating)?
I checked the hall sensor. All three switch between 0v and 5v if moving the motor. So I guess thats not the problem.

Here is a video of the current problem:
https://youtu.be/BhWiWb2XdHM

Any Ideas? Did I melt one of the motor coils?

cheers
Timo

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Cyclon 3000w Motor Problem

Post by Chalo » Jul 27 2021 12:12pm

Those motors are not too difficult to open up for inspection. If you have a look inside, you'll see and smell right away if you've overheated it.

Are you driving the motor above its rating?
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

TS81   1 µW

1 µW

Post by TS81 » Jul 27 2021 12:50pm

Hi,
no, max input is 2450w with a 60v battery. But it gets hot if running this current for several minutes. Normally I check by hand the temperature of the motor. If it's too hot to touch I let it cool down. Normally the hall sensory overheat first - but I am not sure. I will open it up and post some pictures.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jul 27 2021 1:06pm

TS81 wrote:
Jul 27 2021 12:50pm
no, max input is 2450w with a 60v battery. But it gets hot if running this current for several minutes. Normally I check by hand the temperature of the motor. If it's too hot to touch I let it cool down. Normally the hall sensory overheat first - but I am not sure. I will open it up and post some pictures.
If you have to replace Hall sensors, try to get the pre-assembled boards from Cyclone. It's a much easier job that way. However, note that early production versions placed the sensors at a different spacing than recent versions. The older ones don't use a PCB to keep everything in place.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.