Getting A2B motor to work on RadRunner+ Upgrade

I happen to have an A2B second gen (no internal controller) motor and it looks like it'd fit perfectly on my RadRunner+ bike. In order to do that, however, I've got to rig up an adapter from the motor's connector to the controller.

I have an aftermarket 35A controller. The motor worked prior to disassembly and has been garage stored. The controller works just fine with the stock motor.

I purchased a motor extension cable and am working to splice together all the lines just using some temporary holds till I get it spinning right.

2021-09-01 20.47.37.jpg

Both the controller and motor have 3 phase, 5hall and a white (speed? temp?) wire.

So far, though, I've not had any luck getting this to spin. I can power on the bike, pull the throttle and I'll either get one of two thing to happen. 1) It'll give out a "motor position sensor fault" error or 2) the motor will rotate a small amount, then "lock up" (ie, hold the position and can't be rotated by hand) till the throttle is released.

I tried every combination of hall sensor wire switcher'os (B->B G->G Y->Y and all the various combos of that) to no success.

I have tried tweaking the settings on the controller itself (P0, P1, etc) found from various searches both here and on a few relevant facebook groups.

I tried swapping around the phase wires in all the various color combinations as well.

I have not tried every phasewire combination * every hall sensor combo.

I ordered one of these testers to help me weed out issues, hopefully.

So far I've not found the right thing to get it sorted out and I'm looking for some troubleshooting tips or insight into what I might be missing.

Well, I tried just about every pairing of phases again, no dice. Tried a few more controller settings, nothing yet.

Someone suggested I follow the Grin phase wire troubleshooting from their grifeon controller on page 10. Nope, didn't make any improvement.

Began to think this was a bust -- so I rolled over the 72v bike with phrase runner and wired the motor onto that one.

2021-09-03 19.46.22.jpg

After a little bit of motor autotune (what an absolute treat it is work with with a decent controller/software combo) we have spin, no problems.

2021-09-03 19.48.47.jpg
A2B Ultra Motor Kv (rpm/v)

So, I at least know the motor is fine. Maybe the halls are damaged (the 35A doesn't seem to have a sensorless mode). Or maybe the halls aren't BGY and one of the black/red cables are actually the phase.

Amazon lost the phase/motor tester, so I've reordered and am back to the waiting game.

Back