Fried DD Motor, replace Stator only?

cloudy

10 W
I've fried my first motor!
It's a "Voilamart" type rear hub motor going up a long hill with a heavy load. I'm running 52V with a 16Amp ebay controller.

I've managed to get the stator out of the rear hub and the magnets on the rotor are intact. The stator has several burnt looking poles. The motor still spun when I hit the throttle, but it's rough as guts and makes a strange noise. It seems I've created some kind of nasty electrical brake from all the shorted windings.

My question for ES: is it worth sourcing a new stator to put inside the rotor and wheel I already have? I'm struggling to find an exact match, "G‑M029" motor on aliexpress seems to be very close. The alternative is to buy a whole new motor, but this would cost more and require a wheel rebuild.

I'm considering one in following, and very little information is available unfortunately.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/168...&terminal_id=7a32a418802946d0b66dbbec22e8e222

The motor I have has 46 magnets in rotor (27x13mm), 51 poles in the stator (27mm wide), stator diameter is 198mm.

If I get another stator with the same dimentions, what are the chances the clearances bearings etc. will be the same?

Thanks and regards from the land down under.

20210928_171548.jpg
20210928_174021.jpg

Yeah I'll look at getting a temperature sensor for the new motor ive ordered. I doubt my controller will take a temperature signal input, it is fairly primitive.

Sometimes having a primitive system that has cheap and abundant replacement parts, that don't have to be from the original maker can be better in the real world than an overly complicated, proprietary closed system where the manufacturer goes out of business, leaving people with expensive unrepairable bikes.

I rarely do any long steep hills, but when I do yes I touch the hub motor when I am at the top and recovering from a strenuous workout of pedaling up hill to help the motor out and to help save battery juice and will make it a point not to break a sweat again that day.

miro13car said:
so what you do after climbing steep hill on your DD hub ebike?
to get into habit of touching motor ?

Eplus E+ DD 3-phase FOC with field weakening drive which powers my ebike reads the signal from temp sensor and when it reaches high temperature it limits power .
notice - it limits power , it does not cut off power.
Eplus was designed and manufactured in USA, by Electric Motion Systems .
yes proprietary and very good, and it can be modified , improved to some extent.
Parts are pretty standard on Eplus drive
I switch from factory NMH original battery to Lithium with success.
approaching 47000 kilometers on mine Eplus.
proprietary does not mean cannot be repaired

Voltron said:
Sometimes having a primitive system that has cheap and abundant replacement parts, that don't have to be from the original maker can be better in the real world than an overly complicated, proprietary closed system where the manufacturer goes out of business, leaving people with expensive unrepairable bikes.
A complicated, fairly open and serviceable system can be even better. (One of the reasons I like the Cycle Analyst.)

Back