Hub motor is frozen! (Cannot spin while disconnected)

Ultropolis

1 µW
I got a 1500w motor from ebay, & supposedly compatible controller. I put it together, works good!

I Let it sit a few weeks. Hub is now FROZEN. it has ~2" of free roll then hard stop. I CANNOT turn the wheel past this point.

- i unplugged everything from the hub. It remains frozen.
- the hub itself was outside but under a tarp during hurricane ida. I set the controller up AFTER that. Worked good over a week of testing. It has seen a little rain since, but it lives in a carport.
- a friend suggested that the motor might actually be a 1kw not a 1.5kw, and the controller toasted it? Seems iffy, because it was fine on the last ride.
- with ~20 lbs of torque the wheel will not spin at all. I am hesitant to push harder

Im stuck! You guys got any ideas? Thanks!

Ultropolis said:
I got a 1500w motor from ebay, & supposedly compatible controller. I put it together, works good!

I Let it sit a few weeks. Hub is now FROZEN. it has ~2" of free roll then hard stop. I CANNOT turn the wheel past this point.

- i unplugged everything from the hub. It remains frozen.
- the hub itself was outside but under a tarp during hurricane ida. I set the controller up AFTER that. Worked good over a week of testing. It has seen a little rain since, but it lives in a carport.
- a friend suggested that the motor might actually be a 1kw not a 1.5kw, and the controller toasted it? Seems iffy, because it was fine on the last ride.
- with ~20 lbs of torque the wheel will not spin at all. I am hesitant to push harder

Im stuck! You guys got any ideas? Thanks!

If nothing like a cassette/cluster or break problem is the cause of the stoppage, and, your rides didn't overheat the motor, then you didn't fry your stator...most likely. However, your motor might be shorted from water, or you ended up with a lemon.

Do this.

Put your motor (bike) into a fully dry place for a while, like a week or so and see if allowing it to dry out solves your problem. If it doesn't, then find out if you can return it. If you can not return it, study what it takes to open the motor and see if something is physically impeding the rotation on the inside of the motor.

Back