Why is my 60v battery degrading so fast?

Hi, I have a BTRpower 60v lipo4 battery( fully charges at 71.4v) and its a 25AH battery,
I've had the battery for about 2 years approximately and I recently noticed that when going on my regular journeys I came back home with less voltage, is it something to worry about or is it normal?
The journeys I take are about 5miles( total) and I used to come home with about 69.5v-70v depending on how I ride etc..
Bit recently taking my time on the journeys I come home with about 64v-66v?
Also I think I'm maintaining the battery correctly as I never leave it without charging it and it's never been left for over 4 days and I always charge the battery after about 10 mins when I come home, also the only thing is the bike is left in a cold environment overnight so could that effect the battery?
Thanks 😊

Leaving a lithium battery sitting at full charge shortens its life. They store best at below 50% capacity, but lowering charge voltage even to 4.05V per cell instead of 4.2V per cell makes a huge difference.

It's much better to let your battery sit in a discharged state, and charge it just before you use it.

Running a lithium battery empty or close to empty shortens its life. It also throws the pack out of balance.

Storing a lithium battery in hot conditions shortens its life.

P.S. -

How cold are you talking when you say "cold environment"?

That is typical, you should have fun buying another battery.

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
Hi sorry for late reply, it was stored at the back of my house in a outhouse but during winter about 0°c or even in the minus lol

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
I didn't realise that was so bad for a lithium battery 😂😂
Storage at near freezing does not appear to be so bad, at 30 - 40% of full charge.

As stated above, they do not like being charged or used when the battery temp. is near freezing or below.

They can be used in such cold environments via bringing the batteries into a heated space to charge, or wrapped in heating pads and/or insulation. And can be run (if already warm) wrapped in insulation. They will create some of their own heat during charging and discharging.

It could just be getting out of balance.
Sometimes the BMS can't keep up with evening out the cell groups, esp if the charging periods are short, which it sounds like yours are.

Every now and then it shouldn't hurt to leave the battery on the charger for an extended time to let the BMS keep going (but stay nearby monitoring the battery for heat etc!), some chargers will start going between red and green periodically as the BMS brings down the high groups, others won't, and some BMSs just plain shut off internally, and need to get unplugged from the charger before they'll try again, or are just plain crappy at balancing.

Thanks for the reply, so I shouldn't worry too much?
And if I charge it should I let it warm up in my bedroom before plugging the charger in? I normally charge it in my room to be honest but when I realised the voltage drop I actually charged it in the cold when the battery the cold also, and that's when I realised.
👍

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
And if I charge it should I let it warm up in my bedroom before plugging the charger in?
Warm to the core also, takes a while for the temperature to rise (and equalize) in the interior of the battery pack.

Careful about charging inside or anywhere that can catch fire, especially if the battery has been abused or is faulty. At least one forum member has had their house burn down while charging a faulty battery.

Some charge in a (unused) fireplace, stove, BBQ, etc. to reduce any collateral damages from battery charging explosions or fires (burn extremely hot and hard to extinguish).

I know, I didn't realise how dangerous these things could be until I seen a video on YouTube of one setting on fire, I couldn't imagine one setting on fire in my room 😳

Hi, I've read online and apparently lithium batteries can heat up and explode if charged in below freezing conditions, not sure how true it is, do you think it'll be a good idea for me to get a ir laser temp tester so when I bring my battery in I can test if its OK to charge? Thanks

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
Hi, I've read online and apparently lithium batteries can heat up and explode if charged in below freezing conditions, not sure how true it is, do you think it'll be a good idea for me to get a ir laser temp tester so when I bring my battery in I can test if its OK to charge? Thanks

Is there an outlet by the bike so you can throw an electric blanket over it?

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
No that's the downside to it being out the back house is really small 😒

Appears there are some LifePO4 batteries than can charge a pretty low temps (-20C), but not the usual ones
https://eepower.com/new-industry-products/new-technology-solves-the-problem-of-li-battery-cold-temperature-charging/#:~:text=The%20first%20LiFePO4%20battery%20of,itself%2C%20requiring%20no%20additional%20components.

From what I read, low temperatures during charging causes lithium plating inside the battery, and needs a lower and lower charging rate the colder the battery is. So if you already have a really really slow charger, maybe it won't be a problem.
In winter I like to snuggle mine on the couch for a while after we get home until we're both warmed up and ready to charge safely 🤣

Cam3roon2k41999 said:
No that's the downside to it being out the back house is really small 😒

i'm sure you can still get extension cords. ;)

Back