aum

1 mW
olo

i have finished my trailer, which goes behind ice sprint tour trike
i will be traveling the world
right now i am troubleshooting my regen braking
we have:
- golden motor edge e-motors - 2 pieces, it does support regen braking
- cycle analyst 3.1 (ca3) will do all the dirty work, including throttle - therefore in edge (android) settings i set, ie, throttle to: close 0
- lifepo4 single battery shared with 2 pcs of e-motors

i need to know:
1. what voltage will activate regen braking on edge e-motor ? need this for ca3, currently (default) setting is 0.49 volts, i tried ca proportional braking, with throttle applied, no result
2. in edge settings (android / smart meter) - regen braking enable: open or close (1 or 0) - similar to throttle settings, my logic says: close 0, ca3 will do the work
3. max ebs phase current (android / smart meter) - 20 upto 80 - my guess is, this is percent of regen braking, 20 being min 'soft' braking, 80 being max 'hard' braking

i am informed that for regen braking to work, battery needs to be somewhat empty:
- my lifepo4 nominal voltage is 48 v
- i sent email to manufacturer / seller / distributor, about no. of cells -> 16, this makes it actually 51/52 volts battery
- in ca3, i entered 16 cells for no. of battery cells
- online info says battery needs to be 80 % or less full
- ca3 shows 53 volts, when battery is fully charged

here i get stunned - my calculation are:
53 v * 0.8 = 42,2 v - or lower for regen braking to work ? man, that is 2 volts above min allowed voltage, before system shuts down; min batt voltage setting in ca3 is 40 (volts), i could set it to 39, according to currently gathered info, this is minimum for lifepo4 batt

of course i sent e-mail with above questions to the distributor of my e-motors (www.miromax.lt), no reply, in general they do not offer customer support (that is my experience), and the actual seller of my edge e-motors is totally incapable of providing any useful info at all
i also sent e-mail with question to goldenmotor.com & goldenmotor.ca, no reply

please advise

thank you for your cooperation

best regards

aum

ok, after some time, internet digging, and trial & error / test rides, here is the answer to my own question:
- for edge (golden motor magic pie 5) to do regenerative braking, edge controller needs to be wired to brake handle switch (e-switch, inside physical brake handle)
so, if one is using cycleAnalyst (3), both cycleAnalyst and edge controller need to be wired to e-brake signal / wire; ca3 needs it to cut off the power (when e-brake is applied), edge controller needs it to actually do regen braking; refer to ca3 user manual (extended one, non-official) for more info
- after proper connections are done, regen braking will work, even with fully charged battery, just braking will not be 'full', but partial / soft, until the battery is actually partially discharged, then regen braking will be stronger
- in my case, 30 % of regen braking (controller settings) is more than enough, there are exceptions to the rule
- regen braking only engages after speed of 11 kmh is achieved, not before; after that, braking will continue, until one stops (or thereabout), as long as one holds e-brake
- regen braking will/can significantly heat the edge e-motor(s), same as using e-motor uphill
- my battery's bcm (battery circuit management) will shut down the battery at approx. 47 volts, therefore my question about voltage is irrelevant - learned this the hard (proper) way, lol

have fun
aum
s love nia

aum said:
ok, after some time, internet digging, and trial & error / test rides, here is the answer to my own question:
- for edge (golden motor magic pie 5) to do regenerative braking, edge controller needs to be wired to brake handle switch (e-switch, inside physical brake handle)
so, if one is using cycleAnalyst (3), both cycleAnalyst and edge controller need to be wired to e-brake signal / wire; ca3 needs it to cut off the power (when e-brake is applied), edge controller needs it to actually do regen braking; refer to ca3 user manual (extended one, non-official) for more info
- after proper connections are done, regen braking will work, even with fully charged battery, just braking will not be 'full', but partial / soft, until the battery is actually partially discharged, then regen braking will be stronger
- in my case, 30 % of regen braking (controller settings) is more than enough, there are exceptions to the rule
- regen braking only engages after speed of 11 kmh is achieved, not before; after that, braking will continue, until one stops (or thereabout), as long as one holds e-brake
- regen braking will/can significantly heat the edge e-motor(s), same as using e-motor uphill
- my battery's bcm (battery circuit management) will shut down the battery at approx. 47 volts, therefore my question about voltage is irrelevant - learned this the hard (proper) way, lol

have fun
aum
s love nia

I'm glad you figured it out, and thanks for following up. I forgot about the unofficial CA manual, which is going to be helpful when I convert to hydraulic brakes. I need cutoffs to apply to both the CA and controller, and currently I'm using a dual pole switch on my levers to cut off the CA and controller. With the magnetic switches, I'll need to wire them in parallel, like in the unofficial manual. I forgot about how the Gnd is wired, so it was good to look at the diagram again.

E-HP said:
I need cutoffs to apply to both the CA and controller, and currently I'm using a dual pole switch on my levers to cut off the CA and controller.
Just curious: is there a specific controller function on yours that does not occur unless the ebrake input on it is activated (like for the OP's controller here)?

amberwolf said:
Just curious: is there a specific controller function on yours that does not occur unless the ebrake input on it is activated (like for the OP's controller here)?

Ya, the cruise control. I don't like the CA auto-cruise control, since I like direct control of a button actuated cruise control, like the controller has. The last thing I need is to have cruise control kick in at 35 mph. The manual doesn't recommend using the controller's, but it works fine, since normal behavior of the controller cruise controller is to kick off either when brakes are applied, or when it senses a higher throttle input, but nothing unexpected. I need the ebrake to the CA since I used PAS, and set a longer delay before it kicks off under normal pedaling, but need it to stop immediately when braking.

Back