Shimano Nexus 5 spd. Hub

Mike j

1 µW
I purchased this hub over six months ago and still have not been able to get it going. It is sold by numerous sellers, stripped, as pictured, it is up to the buyer to then source all the needed parts. It turns out that some of them are non existent. The ones that are finally available are way overpriced and wrong for the application. Everything is very specific, I ordered several wrong , close, but no cigar, parts. I now have a very overpriced one coming from Japan. I had to fabricate my own sprocket, they were unavailable until recently and are way to big and also overpriced. Guess what, the necessary snap rigs are unavailable. I was informed of this one my last phone call to Shimano, then I was told to “have a nice day”. Not just a rant but a warning for what you’re in for with these hubs.

Attachments

• 122B0244-2EA4-48D3-944A-0700AA5E8E02.jpeg
    122B0244-2EA4-48D3-944A-0700AA5E8E02.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 331
Mike j said:
I purchased this hub over six months ago and still have not been able to get it going. It is sold by numerous sellers, stripped, as pictured, it is up to the buyer to then source all the needed parts. It turns out that some of them are non existent. The ones that are finally available are way overpriced and wrong for the application. Everything is very specific, I ordered several wrong , close, but no cigar, parts. I now have a very overpriced one coming from Japan. I had to fabricate my own sprocket, they were unavailable until recently and are way to big and also overpriced. Guess what, the necessary snap rigs are unavailable. I was informed of this one my last phone call to Shimano, then I was told to “have a nice day”. Not just a rant but a warning for what you’re in for with these hubs.

That's one strange story. Here in europe those hubs come ready-to-lace and work quite well in fact. Strange that you opted for the roller brake version. This one requires special shimano rollerbrakes, which do not work well in my opinion for ebikes. What you want, is centerlock version that allows for disc brake. All shimano internal geared hubs have a similar setup: you need the hub, a switching mechanism and a lever. Which parts go with what hub is told by the shimano manual you find on their official website. (pick the so called "dealer manual" which has much more information that the user's manual. I've put links to german shops so you can see how the parts look like. Sourcing them will be tricky in the US, but i know dutch website that ships nearly everywhere for little money. Also, there is bike24, also a huge shop with international shipping.
Just send me a message if you need help; i've built and ridden many many ighs over the years!

Thanks for the feedback. The advertisements were confusing, l wanted the disc brake setup, but inadvertently ordered the roller brake setup. I just received the overpriced shifter from Japan, none were available in the U.S. lt arrived with out half the parts shown on the eBay advertisement. I called Shimano about the sprocket snap ring which I couldn’t find anywhere, they told me that they were unavailable but to have a nice day. Had to fabricate one from an old mattress spring. Hub is together now, l hope that it works well after all this.

Mike j said:
Thanks for the feedback. The advertisements were confusing, l wanted the disc brake setup, but inadvertently ordered the roller brake setup. I just received the overpriced shifter from Japan, none were available in the U.S. lt arrived with out half the parts shown on the eBay advertisement. I called Shimano about the sprocket snap ring which I couldn’t find anywhere, they told me that they were unavailable but to have a nice day. Had to fabricate one from an old mattress spring. Hub is together now, l hope that it works well after all this.

:shock: Mattress sping, seriously ! Glad it works now, but I really don't understand shimano: that snap ring is the same for all hubs from the old 3 speed up to the expensive alfine 11. I my opinoin the worst part of the hub design...

D65C01C9-5FEA-46EA-BD64-D05B3801ADE2.jpegThanks for the good info. The dealers link was especially helpful. This snap ring is larger than the others and very specific, as everything else on this hub. I went to three bike shops & non of them had it. I don’t know why they make everything so complicated and specific other than to possibly make more money. The bike is done now, hopefully it will be worth the aggravation. I previously had a Sturmey 3 spd. w/ drum brake, which didn’t stop well, then tried a Sturmey 5 spd w/ disc which worked better but only lasted a couple of rides before it tore itself up. Here’s a photo of the culprit.

Back