Clyte 5304 Baserunner Autotune parameters

I'm going to set up my old Phoenix Cruiser II with a Baserunner controller. Unfortunately, Grin Tech doesn't seem to have a default setting for the 5300 motor, just the H models and SAW20.

This is my first time trying to Autotune a motor. The pole pairs should be 12 for a 5300 motor, what happens if I'm wrong on that. Will the motor just not spin?

Looks like if I get the pole pairs right, with something around 9 RPM/V, and select "sensorless" the controller should autotune without a problem. But I may need to adjust the Sensorless Starting Parameters. Has anyone autotuned a 5300 before and know the basic settings?

Thanks, CV

Answering my own question here. Even though my motor is labeled 5304 I think it does have 23 pole pairs rather than 12. I started the autotune with 12 pole pairs and the wheel barely spun in a jerky rhythm and the program prompted me to adjust the sennsorless starting parameters. I read in an older endless sphere post that some of the later 5300 models for ElectricRider were actually 23 pole pairs. I started the test again and it ran brilliantly!

13.08 RPM/V
23 Pole Pairs
46.0 mOhms
75.0 uH
Sensorless

Edit: At first I thought it was 24 but revisited the post and it is 23. The motor ran well with 24 pole pairs but I kept getting a Wheel speed sensor warning. After retuning to 23 pole pairs the warning went away.

Well I'm pretty sure I blew the controller. Tried riding to work and went up a pretty long hill, stopped at the top and the bike wouldn't go anymore. Something in the controller shorted I think because the motor bogged down (like all the phase wires were shorted) until I unplugged it from the controller.

So for a 48V Baserunner setup 50 amp battery current and 70 amp max phase current may be a problem? It sure did pull up those hills until it didn't. :oops:

Just want to give some props to Grin tech. I reached out sent them my Baserunner .xml file on how I set up my parameters and they told me I the controller shouldn't have failed under those conditions. Gave me a full refund! :bigthumb:

Back