Ebikes don't like going underwater!

Jaffasoft

10 mW
It's obvious e-bikes don't like going through water. I got myself in a spot crossing the Murray River Billabong just thought wasn't so deep and I could hold the bike up and walk across I got in too deep fast and then quickly got to the other side it was only about 7 meters wide. I got on the bike and rode it again and it was surging jolting and not a smooth ride, it wasn't long until it stopped completely. I could actually feel it jutting in the water like it was shorting and trying to take on, pulsing kind of.

Stupid in hindsight and not good, but I did it and it's done now.

Have I ruined it completely or is there something I can pull apart and fix, not sure where to start?

It is a fold-up ebike the same as the photo in the Leitner website link below. In fact, that IS my bike photo in the link below of my bike when I took it around Uluru Australia. Leitner asked if they could use the photo.
https://leitner.com.au/

Never mind 7 m wide....how deep was it ?
Assume you have removed and dried the battery ?
Some electrical fault tracing skills are needed.
That should be easy to check with a MMeter etc to see if it is still charging or a fuse is blown.
Most likely you have drowned the controller in the base of the battery locator.
Not much Short of opening everything up and letting it dry out to see if it helps
At worst Leitner should be able to supply a new controller unit
..OR.. you could try telling Leitner you just rode it in the rain !,,,,....(but I didnt say that !)

The battery was removed and left off for a few days and the bike was in warm conditions of the mild sun to dry. The battery indicator light doesn't light anymore. I've changed but not sure it even charges or does anything. Not sure of a fuse have to have a look.

7m wide, the depth was up to my shoulders and just holding the bike as much as I could above but it was half underwater. Few months since I did it now about 5 months.

I already consulted Leitner and told em what I did, they suggested consulting a local bike shop to see if they could fix it. I was Mildura at the time and the bike shop owner said anything electrical he'd have to be a qualified electrician or something and couldn't work on it. I didn't inquire anywhere else after that.

Best way to do that is for YOU to cross the river first, then go back and take the bike across if it is doable, otherwise find a better place to cross.

From the linked photo the battery looks like a common silverfish (generic form factor tradename) so shouldn't be too hard to source a suitable (or better) replacement.

Do you have access to a DVOM? Suggest you start by measuring the voltage at the battery's output terminals. Report back, we'll go from there.

NOTE: Quite often, switches, wiring, electric motors can work fine again after thoroughly drying out after getting wet. Controller possibly, but not likely if it was powered on when soaked. Battery less chance of surviving a good soaking.

Many FLBS are not set up, or have technical expertise, or even the desire to service ebikes yet. If you list your geographical area you may be able to interest a nearby hobbyist who has the skills and is willing to lend a hand in making the needed repairs.

Hamilton Vic 3300 is anyone who wants to pop around and give me a hand.

Your reply sounds promising 99t4 if it is only a battery I'd probably just buy one. Not sure what a DVOM is but I've got a common basic voltmeter and will see if can probe under the battery somewhere for a reading.

In further hindsight, if I had even lifted the battery out and lifted it over above water and done two trips across, the bike would have been easier to handle and maybe kept it higher above the water instead of just being lazy and deciding not to go two kays back around the Billabong to get back to where I started from. It was basically just a shortcut to get across the crossing!

Thanks for you helpful suggestions and insight!

Jaffasoft said:
Not sure what a DVOM is but I've got a common basic voltmeter and will see if can probe under the battery somewhere for a reading.
That should work.

Sorry for the acronym.
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DVOM

?
What is the risk of fire in batteries that get this kind of damage?

onemorejoltwarden said:
?
What is the risk of fire in batteries that get this kind of damage?

High enough to keep it in a safe spot.

A bike like that probably has the controller in a box under the pedals? Mine did. I rode thru 6" of water and filled the box with water. However, I pulled the battery when I got home, so it didn't corrode. It did sizzle when I reconnected the power the next day, so I pulled power again and washed the inside of the controller with 99% alcohol. There was water in it. Saved the controller, but I later upgraded anyway.

A controller for a small bike like that is $25 if you use a generic one, but Leitner probably wants 3X more.

Problem is the battery. If that's the common silverfish, there's only the battery connector on the bottom. The electronics is on top, but the lower cells could get wet, and if they do, the battery connects will corrode away, A tech would open it up and inspect, take a few voltage measurements and determine what's bad. If water damage, just scrap it. Too much fire risk until it's inspected.

Back