Grinding noise under load

have an issue with my ebike where the hub is making weird grinding noises. I hoped that some here had some input as to what the cause could be.

here is the problem:
[youtube]5znZJxs5xMA[/youtube]

Under load the hub makes this grinding noise, it only happens when the hub has to work a lot. So on stand still and going from low to high speed, it will make this noise. Once i reach a high speed (around 20KPH) it is quiet and works flawlessly.

- I replaced the controller with a better one
- Running sensorless
- Nylon gears are new and replaced
- Magnets not loose

Currently my suspicion is currently that I have a light short somewhere in the hub causing the phases to go out of whack. Since the engine does spin and it only happens on very high load. However I would like some more input in case I'm missing something.

E-HP said:
Did you inspect the clutch while you had it apart?

I did and nothing was wrong with it.

I also replaced wires with thicker better ones, cutting out the sensorboard as I ran sensorless anyways. Soldered new connectors to have an easier time doing maintanance and unmounting the engine. I also isolated naked copper wires to make sure the phases wouldnt be affected by it. Even through all that, still grinding noise.

After working on it and troubleshooting for days I finally found the culprit. I never heard of a case like this before, turns out the problem was actually between the magnets and the inner tube holding the copper wires and whatnot. In the outer tube which holds the magnets there was some metal dust and other small junk that has seemed to found its way into the hub. I assume what happened was that when i used to much power it would gather the dust into a lump causing the grinding sound only on high load.

Even tho it seems I wasted tons of time replacing cables, nylon gears and isolating the copper wires, I have to say the hub runs more efficient, faster and with better acceleration. I can recommend modifying your hubs for the performance and efficiency boost.

When i use high power, my bike is quite loud under load, I'm not sure yet where the noise is coming from, my suspicion is however that it's likely something inside the hub motor. Before I'm taking the hub apart, anyone here knows where typically noise inside the hub would come from when pushed hard?

it sounds like this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/gygumz/i_need_help_resolving_my_ebike_vibrationsound/

I suspect maybe the clutch is to loose because it doesnt have a lock or anything on the cheap hub axle so I suppose getting a washer to sqeeze it might be a solution, however I'd still like to know what else could case this so I can avoid taking it apart all the time. It's not hall sensors, I run sensorless.

Back