Problem with a new sensored and sensorless controller

Yogesh

1 mW
I got my new 36/48v 350w sensored and sensorless controller today. After unboxing it i connected it with hub motor 36v after that i tested with 36v 350w hub motor everything was fine motor was running normally but when i tested it with load problem started with sensors connected motor i accelerated slowly and motor was working as expected low noise but after crossing 23km/h speed i started feeling slight jerky i.e. my motor was accelerating and stopping and accelerating again and again. After disconnecting sensors motor worked with some noise but when i ride it stopped accelerating after touching 26km/h seed and didn't respond after Reaccelerating so i turned it off and on and this same problem occurred when ever i touch 26km/h
Battery voltage were 46v.
I possess fair knowledge of electronics

Yogesh said:
I got my new 36/48v 350w sensored and sensorless controller today. After unboxing it i connected it with hub motor 36v after that i tested with 36v 350w hub motor everything was fine motor was running normally but when i tested it with load problem started with sensors connected motor i accelerated slowly and motor was working as expected low noise but after crossing 23km/h speed i started feeling slight jerky i.e. my motor was accelerating and stopping and accelerating again and again. After disconnecting sensors motor worked with some noise but when i ride it stopped accelerating after touching 26km/h seed and didn't respond after Reaccelerating so i turned it off and on and this same problem occurred when ever i touch 26km/h
It sounds like your controller may have a speed limit. Sometimes there's a connector that sets the limit when connected (and unlocked when disconnected).
Post some details or pictures of your controller, the label, and the wires coming out of it.

You could also test it, by lifting the wheen off the ground to see it the motor can only hit 26km/h, and if so, that would indicate it's limited.

After lifting motor runs at its full speed 40km/h with or without hall sensor but problem starts when i ride it
Below is the buying link
xcluma Brushless Motor Sinewave Intelligent dual mode 36V 48V 350W Controller for Electric Vehicle bike scooter erickshaw https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09RWLWWB3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_78R5BH4KC0CFD0CV6NE0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

E-HP said:
Yogesh said:
It sounds like your controller may have a speed limit. Sometimes there's a connector that sets the limit when connected (and unlocked when disconnected).
Post some details or pictures of your controller, the label, and the wires coming out of it.

You could also test it, by lifting the wheen off the ground to see it the motor can only hit 26km/h, and if so, that would indicate it's limited.
After lifting motor runs at its full speed 40km/h with or without hall sensor but problem starts when i ride it
Below is the buying link
xcluma Brushless Motor Sinewave Intelligent dual mode 36V 48V 350W Controller for Electric Vehicle bike scooter erickshaw https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09RWLWWB3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_78R5BH4KC0CFD0CV6NE0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

E-HP said:

So i recently found that i m using 46v battery which fools controller to assume it 48v system and i was using my system at 42.8v i.e. my controller will auto cut at 41v and my controller is trying hard to avoid autocut everything is fine that is why my controller started giving low torque
but full speed on load except.now the question is how can i make my system to work on 36v setup as it finds 46v running it changes to 48v system.
Please help me brother 🙏🙏
And my controller isn't responding to 38v 😭😭😭😭

If the controller is the type that auto-detects the voltage of the battery on each power up, sometiems they get confused, especially when the battery voltage is near the boundary. For a 36v/48v controller, 42v is that boundary. A 36v battery (10s li-ion) is 42v when full. A 48v battery (13s li-ion) is about 42v when empty. Some controllers are so sensitive at the boundary that you simply have to not charge the 36v battery full unless the controller is already turned on and the battery already connected to it (if you turn it on with the battery full, it thinks it's a 48v battery and that it's empty and won't run).

To try to fix this, first, disconnect all power from the controller, completely unplugging the battery from it.

With *no* battery connected to the controller, try to turn it on. It should not turn on, but if it does it will only do so for a moment then any stored power will run out and it will turn off. This clears all stored power.

Test your battery voltage and be sure it is less than 42v. If it is not, you may have to partly discharge it first.

When it is less than 42v, connect it to the controller. Turn on the controller. It should, if it is an autodetecting type, see a 36v battery, and operate correctly.

If your battery is not a 10s Li-ion battery, and has a different full voltage than 42v, this kind of controller is just not going to behave well with it.

If it has a display with a setup menu that lets you *choose* a voltage, it may work...but most of them don't have that, only the autodetection, and those dont' work right with non-standard battery voltage ranges.

amberwolf said:
If the controller is the type that auto-detects the voltage of the battery on each power up, sometiems they get confused, especially when the battery voltage is near the boundary. For a 36v/48v controller, 42v is that boundary. A 36v battery (10s li-ion) is 42v when full. A 48v battery (13s li-ion) is about 42v when empty. Some controllers are so sensitive at the boundary that you simply have to not charge the 36v battery full unless the controller is already turned on and the battery already connected to it (if you turn it on with the battery full, it thinks it's a 48v battery and that it's empty and won't run).

To try to fix this, first, disconnect all power from the controller, completely unplugging the battery from it.

With *no* battery connected to the controller, try to turn it on. It should not turn on, but if it does it will only do so for a moment then any stored power will run out and it will turn off. This clears all stored power.

Test your battery voltage and be sure it is less than 42v. If it is not, you may have to partly discharge it first.

When it is less than 42v, connect it to the controller. Turn on the controller. It should, if it is an autodetecting type, see a 36v battery, and operate correctly.

If your battery is not a 10s Li-ion battery, and has a different full voltage than 42v, this kind of controller is just not going to behave well with it.

If it has a display with a setup menu that lets you *choose* a voltage, it may work...but most of them don't have that, only the autodetection, and those dont' work right with non-standard battery voltage ranges.

Your reply was quite helpful i tried this as described i choose 35v and power the system after complete discharge but no difference motor run for around 3-4 turns and then bearing carried rotating for some time every time i power it, it does the same action.
I think i should return it and order a 36v controller

Yogesh said:
Your reply was quite helpful i tried this as described i choose 35v
What does this mean? (what exactly did you do, and how?)

and power the system after complete discharge but no difference motor run for around 3-4 turns and then bearing carried rotating for some time every time i power it, it does the same action.
I think i should return it and order a 36v controller

What exactly is your battery? Link to where it was purchased may help, as that usually has specification info that helps us help you find a solution.

amberwolf said:
What exactly is your battery? Link to where it was purchased may help, as that usually has specification info that helps us help you find a solution.

I used a bench power supply for 35v supply not a battery. Because battery was holding 42v which setup controller to work on 48v . So i tried with 35v from bench power supply.
My issue got resolved problem was with controller voltage detection torque was low because controller was tring hard to avoid auto cut at 41v as we know 48v system minimum voltage is 41v so i just opened the controller and searched for voltage divider and i found so i placed extra same value resistor to unbalance it's positive voltage and i succeed. And my ebike worked on voltage as low as 28v and torque and speed become normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_041819.jpg
    IMG_20220516_041819.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
Yogesh said:
amberwolf said:

I used a bench power supply for 35v supply not a battery. Because battery was holding 42v which setup controller to work on 48v . So i tried with 35v from bench power supply.
My issue got resolved problem was with controller voltage detection torque was low because controller was tring hard to avoid auto cut at 41v as we know 48v system minimum voltage is 41v so i just opened the controller and searched for voltage divider and i found so i placed extra same value resistor to unbalance it's positive voltage and i succeed. And my ebike worked on voltage as low as 28v and torque and speed become normal.

Look at this pic i shared as you can see i took the same value resistor to place with positive side

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_230532.jpg
    IMG_20220516_230532.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
amberwolf said:
Ah; that makes sense. Thanks for posting the solution; others may be able to use it as well. :)

I have also got so much help from this website and found solutions so i thought i should also post solution

Back