New build problems with buzzing motor.

joelf

1 µW
Team,
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I just finished my second eBike build and it is making a HUGE buzzing/vibration coming from the motor.

Here is a video for it: https://youtu.be/BRcxPvcePr4
Here is the current build:
The battery is a 16s5p LiFe that I built.
It is connected to a Maytech 200a VESC.
The motor is a BaFang 1000w geared hub motor.

The first bike I built is similar except I use an older FOCBOX VESC. I switched the Maytech VESC to the other bike and it makes the same sound, so I'm pretty sure it is something with the VESC.

What am I missing?

VESC: https://maytech.cn/products/maytech-200a-vesc6-0-based-speed-controller-with-anti-spark-switch-for-electric-skateboard-mountainbaord
Motor: https://eunorau-ebike.com/products/bafang-fat-bike-48v1000w-rear-hub-screw-freewheel-motor?currency=USD&variant=37410418622615&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1tGUBhDXARIsAIJx01lYPWQQJPwPqSf8Bq9mA1BnyCE1J-c24UA-AXf-f71Vf14BuhTeVYUaAgqLEALw_wcB

sounds like the phase/hall combination is wrong; if it's not using halls then probably a timing issue with the phase current supplied to the motor vs the actual rotor position (in FOC stuff that means the controller isnt' setup for the motor correctly or it isn't able to sense the back-EMF correctly and deduce the rotor position).

In these cases the battery current draw is usually a lot higher than it's supposed to be, even unloaded.

Note that a geared hub has a higher "ERPM" than a DD hub, because the motor itself is running several times faster than the wheelspeed (rather than *at* the wheel speed). Some controllers just don't handle that very well.

Thanks amberwolf. You seem to be very busy on this forum!
I understand what you are saying. I will try adjusting the phase wires until I find a better combination. However, I thought the VESC software automatically found a correct combo on the initial motor setup, through the wizard. Isn't that correct?

Since it's an FOC controller, it should have some way of tuning the controller to operate the motor, which should include a way for it to determine the correct phase/hall combo. But I have never used the VESC, so I don't know what it actually does, or how. You'd need to reference it's setup manual (which depends on what version firmware it uses); I expect if you don't see one anywhere else it'd be on the original Vedder pages for the project, for the FW version you've got.

But you should also measure battery current first--if it is normal (a couple amps or less) with no load (wheel offground), it's probably not a wrong combination.

It could still be a timing or tuning issue, though. Or even a sensor that isnt' being read correctly (electrical noise or a poor connection at the controller end, etc).

joelf said:
Thanks amberwolf. You seem to be very busy on this forum!
However, I thought the VESC software automatically found a correct combo on the initial motor setup, through the wizard.

There is an option to detect hall sensors separately in VESC tool at Motor Settings -> FOC -> Hall Sensors

Back