KLS controller no power error

gearak

1 µW
I'm working with a KLS7218M controller. I've wired the contoller to a 48 volt source and to the electric motor. The controller drives the motor as expected with default settings, but my computer will not recognize the controller so I cannot program it

Specifically, I have downloaded and installed the SM-4A to USB Converter driver from Kellycontroller.com, and downloaded the KMC user app. I connect the controller to my computer via an SM-4A to USB adapter cable. I run the KMC user app, select "yes" to confirm that the motor is not running, and then receive the "Controller no power or RS232 cable disconnect error." I have seen this error referenced in several places, including in Joe Yamazaki's youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIWAlT1sgEk. The only advice I have seen is to cycle the power to the controller and keep trying until it connects. I have tried ~dozen times without success.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SM-4A to USB Converter driver, installing the RS232 to USB drivers, changing the SM-4A to USB cable, and disconnecting the U, V and W leads from the controller to the motor. None of these steps have affected the software errors. I have measured voltage between the black and read pins in the SM-4A controller and see over five volts.

Does anyone have advice on how to get past the "controller no power" error?

Thank you!

gearak said:
the SM-4A to USB Converter ~

~ I have tried ~dozen times without success.

I have also tried ~
Does anyone have advice on how to get past the "controller no power" error?

Thank you!

Just go serial. My recommendation.

Serial to USB adapters are notorious for not working.

Just get a serial port PCI card if your computer doesnt have a RS232 port. I have never ever had a problem with a rs232 connection. You can test them easy with a loopback test... and a program such as Hyperterminal and a single jumper on the Tx to the Rx... . Hyper terminal is free I think.

Yeah so that is my suggestion as to what to tty next.

SM-4A to USB? Nah. Conflicts, problems, disconnections.

SM-4A to Serial RS232? Yeah works every time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopback

https://kellycontroller.com/shop/sm-4a-to-rs232/

From Wikipedia on the loopback test:

A serial communications transceiver can use loopback for testing its functionality. For example, a device's transmit pin connected to its receive pin will result in the device receiving exactly what it transmits. Moving this looping connection to the remote end of a cable adds the cable to this test. Moving it to the far end of a modem link extends the test further. This is a common troubleshooting technique and is often combined with a specialized test device that sends specific patterns and counts any errors that come back (see Bit Error Rate Test). Some devices include built-in loopback capability.

A simple serial interface loopback test, called paperclip test, is sometimes used to identify serial ports of a computer and verify operation. It utilizes a terminal emulator application to send characters, with flow control set to off, to the serial port and receive the same back. For this purpose, a paperclip is used to short pin 2 to pin 3 (the receive and transmit pins) on a standard RS-232 interface using D-subminiature DE-9 or DB-25 connectors.

DogDipstick said:
You can test them easy with a loopback test... and a program such as Hyperterminal and a single jumper on the Tx to the Rx... . Hyper terminal is free I think.
FWIW, you can test the serial end of a USB-serial adapter the same way. ;)

And there are a number of free terminal programs out there, for just about every OS I can think of, some of which are easier to use than others.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I tracked down an android phone and attempted to access the control that way but the phone would not recognize the controller either. I haven't figured out a way to try connecting via an RS232 port yet, but I'll post again if I do.

Back