Does your PAS sensor light up when you unplug your motor?

mrpullam

1 µW
Hello! I am in the process of converting my bike. I have everything I need for the conversion, but I expect my motor to take a little longer to get to the U.S. from China. I have installed everything and believe I have done so correctly. However, when I turn my pedal, the PAS does not light up even though it is connected to the battery and controller.

So, to help my curiosity, can someone with a PAS installed unplug the motor from your controller, turn the power on and crank the wheel to see if the sensor lights up?

It will be quite a while before my motor is in, and if it is not normal for this to occur, it might mean that I 1. did something wrong or 2. have to check to see if my sensor or controller is not functioning correctly.

Sorry for the weird question, it's not something that I can find anywhere on the internet, and hopefully, it will help with the curiosity of e-bike builders in my position for years to come.

Note: I am using a SWYTCH battery pack/controller connected to the original SWYTCH PAS sensor and the original magnetic disk. Got a deal because the used battery did not come with a motor. However, I have seen the kit in action from the person I purchased the pack from and everything should be in perfect working condition.

mrpullam said:
So, to help my curiosity, can someone with a PAS installed unplug the motor from your controller, turn the power on and crank the wheel to see if the sensor lights up?

As long as the PAS sensor is getting 5V, it doesn't even need to be connected to the controller. If it's getting 5V, then it's something else, like the alignment or space betweent the sensor and magnets, disc flipped in the wrong direction, or rotation of the cranks in the wrong direction, etc.

As long as the PAS sensor is getting 5V, it doesn't even need to be connected to the controller.

Thanks for the reply. So you’re suggesting that either the alignment is off, the sensor is bad, or it’s not getting voltage?

mrpullam said:
Thanks for the reply. So you’re suggesting that either the alignment is off, the sensor is bad, or it’s not getting voltage?

Pretty much. For testing the sensor, that's all you need (5V). Some/most will blink if the magnet passes in any direction, but the controller cares which direction the magnets pass relative to the sensor's orientation, so you'll need to wait to test that after you get your motor.
This video shows the guy changing orientation of the sensor and disc to show how it behaves, with the controller and motor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKfpWYvKMnk

E-HP said:
mrpullam said:

Pretty much. For testing the sensor, that's all you need (5V). Some/most will blink if the magnet passes in any direction, but the controller cares which direction the magnets pass relative to the sensor's orientation, so you'll need to wait to test that after you get your motor.
This video shows the guy changing orientation of the sensor and disc to show how it behaves, with the controller and motor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKfpWYvKMnk

You’re awesome! I really appreciate the info.

Back