Lyen controller/cycle analyst throttle cutting out

Hello!

Hope all are well. So I built an electric fatbike years ago and rode the hell out of it until a couple years ago after running into an issue with the controller.

The bike is hs3540 crystalyte, hall sensors disabled with external speedo

Lyen 45 amp controller

Cycle analyst v3

76v Samsung triangle pack from EM3ev

Anyways, I’d be out riding and then all of a sudden throttle would no longer work on the bike in random situations. Originally I thought it was the CA -direct plug so I repinned and changed connector.

Recently I did some diagnosis and bike works perfectly fine with a throttle wired directly to the controller with CA disconnected.

With the cycle analyst wired to the CA direct plug on the controller, the bike will ride perfectly fine down the street, then it won’t move after about half of a mile. Wiggling wiring at controller does not restore function.

Confirmed the throttle is good and can see the throttle sweep on screen. I know the settings in the CA are fine (rode it for thousands of miles like that) and I’ve checked the measured values for temp and speed limits= not an issue from what I can tell.

I ran the CA in bypass mode for the throttle= still no motor movement. I’m wondering if the throttle wire into the controller from the CA connector is defective. Is there a way to bypass it so throttle from CA is wired to the other throttle input to the controller?

How does the throttle input wiring differ from the CA plug and the direct throttle in plug?

Any direction would be helpful! Thanks t5eiFH_ZR1uXr66Vw8T6eg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the CA diag screen (one left button press), does it show any limit flags going capitalized? Anything that is capitalized vs lowercase is an active limit, meaning some input or sensor on the CA is reading something beyond whatever limits are set in the CA.

Also, the throttle output voltage will show at the top of this screen; if it doesn't drop below usual and if there are no capitalized limit flags, tehn the CA isn't turnign the throttle off.

In that event, it means there is probably a connection or wiring fault at the output of the CA to the controller, and that you can test with a multimeter set to 20VDC to look for where the throttle signal works and where it stops working. If using JST connectors, that's the most likely failure point--a contact backed out of a housing or a wire broken at the crimp.

Do you know which pins I should be testing at the jst connector?

Pin 1: Red = Battery +
Pin 2: Black = Ground
Pin 3: Black = Shunt -
Pin 4: Yellow = Shunt +
Pin 5: Green = Speed sensing
Pin 6: Blue = Hall Effect Throttle Over-Ride

danjpendleton said:
Do you know which pins I should be testing at the jst connector?
Unless you're testing something other than throttle voltage, the signal you want should be somewhat obvious by name. ;) (I bolded it in your list, just in case, and included a diagram from Grin's site that includes the ThO pin on the 6pin JST)

However, the signal name given in your list is for the old v2 CA that only overrode the throttle by grounding it to turn it off (to deliberately cause cutouts). If that is how your controller is actually wired up, using a diode to the throttle signal, it will affect the response of your controller to a throttle input and it may not operate normally. It won't cause cutouts but it may not have the full signal voltage range.

If this is the case, then you can disconnect the CA3's green throttle output wire from it's 6pin "CA connector" pin 6, and wire it to the controller's actual throttle connector signal pin.

The CA3 actually outputs a real throttle signal that is intended to directly drive the controller's throttle input, and on present-day controllers this is what the CA-connector is wired to do, but on fairly old controllers the CA-connector was not wired that way.

Pin 1: Red = Battery +
Pin 2: Black = Ground
Pin 3: Black = Shunt -
Pin 4: Yellow = Shunt +
Pin 5: Green = Speed sensing
Pin 6: Blue = Hall Effect Throttle Over-Ride

Attachments

• JST_Pinouts[1].jpg
    JST_Pinouts[1].jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 318
Ok this is exactly what I needed to know. Logically in my head it made sense to just run the throttle wire from the cav3 to the actual throttle input wire into the controller, but I wasn’t sure if any of the other wires needed to join it(ie: ground) or if that is a different circuit entirely. I’m not super familiar with how the “shunts” work in the controller and in some photos it looked like there were 2 separate shunts. Need to read a bit more on controller anatomy. I appreciate your help. I’ll do some testing with my meter and report back

The connector between the cycle analyst and controller was bad. Pins looked fine, but as soon as I bypassed the connector it worked properly. I ended up just soldering each wire and heatshrinking for a hardwired connection. This permanently bypasses the connector, as I never take the controller off the bike.

Back