Bafañg hub motor cuts in and out

Jaybird1122

1 µW
Someone please help... I installed a bafañg front hub motor and used a aftermarket controller off Amazon... I can't figure out what my issue is. The motor cuts in and out sometimes it works when I hit the throttle but mostly it doesn't . What's going on here... I've checked all the obvious issues. Loose wires, faulty connections, I tested the throttle, I'm pretty sure the motor phase and hall wires are correct because when it does run it's smooth and quiet. Am I just looking at a non compatible Chinese controller... Oh and I know it's not the brake cut offs as I have them temporarily disconnected. Any ideas would be great thanks

What exactly happens when it doesn't work? Does it just not respond to the throttle, or does it start to respond then stop? Etc.

The most common problem is connections, or wiring faults, which you may not be able to see, and which may test perfectly fine with a multimeter but still fail when actually connected up. This can be caused by a bad crimp from contact to wire, wire broken at back of contact, poor solder at a PCB's wire connection, or even a spread-out barrel on a connector pin so it looks perfectly fine but is just enough bigger hole than it should be for contact to be intermittent or nonexistent.

It can be a problem with the wiring at the motor axle exit, too, where it easily gets damaged, especially from twisting when the axle mounting hardware isn't tightened down enough and torque lets the axle spin and twist up teh wires. Sometimes this shorts things together and damages thigns (including blowing up controllers and motor hall sensors if phase wires are damaged enough to short to each other or to hall wiring), and sometimes it just breaks wires so they make poor or intermittent or no contact.

Wrong phase / hall wiring combinations may result in a system that only works when the motor has spun to the right position of magnets relative to hall sensors. If the controller has an autolearn function, using that usually fixes this kind of problem.

Magnets that have broken loose inside the throttle can also cause it to not work right or at all.

A link to the specific motor, controller, battery, and any other parts used in the conversion may help us help you determine compatibility and wiring, etc.

Jaybird1122 said:
Someone please help... I installed a bafañg front hub motor and used a aftermarket controller off Amazon... I can't figure out what my issue is. The motor cuts in and out sometimes it works when I hit the throttle but mostly it doesn't . What's going on here... I've checked all the obvious issues. Loose wires, faulty connections, I tested the throttle, I'm pretty sure the motor phase and hall wires are correct because when it does run it's smooth and quiet. Am I just looking at a non compatible Chinese controller... Oh and I know it's not the brake cut offs as I have them temporarily disconnected. Any ideas would be great thanks

Back