Problem with 860c display speed controller

Hello, So i have the 860c lcd display with the detached speed controller. The problem i have is that the controller loses communication with the display. I have narrowed it down to a faulty wire connection. When it stops working i can wiggle the wire that goes directly into the speed controller and it will start working again. This is a new unit and i have not yanked the cables and have plenty of play for when i am turning the handlebars.

I'm wondering if anybody has seen or fixed this problem. Is the speed controller easy to open up and inspect for a bad solder? I have the soldering tools to fix if thats the case. Im just worried about breaking it trying to open it. Also, can you just buy the speed controller without the screen?

Thanks for any help

Most commonly connection failures occur either at the actual connector or at the point where the cable enters either the connector or the controller casing (or display casing), or at any point the cable bends where it is secured to the frame, etc, or where it might be pinched.

If it is at the controller casing entrance, and the cable is long enough to do this, you can cut the cable past the point where the problem exists, and open up the controller, pass the remaining cable inside, strip the jacket back enough to access the wires, then solder each wire to the point where the matching original wire is still soldered to the PCB (while removing that original wire). I recommend taking good clear pictures of all the original wiring before doing this so you have a record of how it was attached in case a mistake is made at any point.

As to whether the controller is available separately, you'd need to specify exactly which controller you have, since there are hundreds of thousands of controllers out there, and they're not all inter-compatible. ;)

Programinator said:
Hello, So i have the 860c lcd display with the detached speed controller. The problem i have is that the controller loses communication with the display. I have narrowed it down to a faulty wire connection. When it stops working i can wiggle the wire that goes directly into the speed controller and it will start working again. This is a new unit and i have not yanked the cables and have plenty of play for when i am turning the handlebars.

I'm wondering if anybody has seen or fixed this problem. Is the speed controller easy to open up and inspect for a bad solder? I have the soldering tools to fix if thats the case. Im just worried about breaking it trying to open it. Also, can you just buy the speed controller without the screen?

Thanks for any help

Programinator said:

Thanks for any help

So does the display go dark but the bike still works or something else?

If you don't need any of the features that displays usually support (most have some buttons that do stuff, like on/off or PAS levels, etc.), then there are a lot of controllers that don't require displays with only a throttle input, and maybe a three speed switch. Unless you mean, can you buy the same controller or one compatible with your display by itself, which would be a yes.

Back