Ebikeling S830 PAS System only works pedaling backwards

douglasdelay

100 µW
Hello!

I installed an ebikeling brand S830 PAS system to the left crank on a newer model Sun Trike. The PAS will only engage when I pedal backwards.

I tried flipping the disc to the other side on the same left crank and still only engaging when pedaling backwards.

I following and read the FAQ on ebikeling website to make sure I had the proper settings engaged on the S830
https://ebikeling.com/pages/faq-ebike-conversion-kit?_pos=5&_sid=d038991d2&_ss=r

After checking the settings per Ebikleing website I still only find the PAS engaging when I pedal backwards.

I cannot mount the disc on the right crank because there is no room on the Sun trike. It has different cranks than your typical mountain bike. It has a one piece crank arm. It would be impossible to mount the PAS disc on the right crank.

Ebikleing's own instructions show the disc being mounted on the left crank.

I have emailed Ebikleing customer support and they do not provide real answers. Ebikeling tech support is pretty awful actually, and that's why I've come here!

Come on guys I know I can find a fix with your help!

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Sorry to say I don't really know why you're having this problem, but my understanding of the magic of Hall sensors is that these crank sensors are definitely designed to function in one direction only. I initially thought I'd be clever and tuck my first kit's magnet safely behind the chainring (it's the same PAS type as yours) and ran into the exact symptom you have. Swapped it over to the left and it worked perfectly(though I kept knocking it out of position). I can't help but think you have gotten a right side sensor by mistake.

douglasdelay said:
please see attached

Hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but looking closely at the teeth that hold the disc to the bottom bracket spindle, it looks like the disc is on backwards. I know you mentioned you tried flipping it, but I'd flip it over and try again.

Look carefully at the angle of the teeth in these two clips, relative to the direction the crank spins:
https://youtu.be/refJSVbUc_Y?t=2
https://youtu.be/3Ev8v9CtEEs?t=80

It seems like the sent me a right crank mount disc. Ebikeling has been a horrible experience. This was only one of the miriad of issues I've had with this company. Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I'm returning everything. I need to find a reputable company that sells front wheel conversions at reasonable price.

douglasdelay said:
It seems like the sent me a right crank mount disc. Ebikeling has been a horrible experience. This was only one of the miriad of issues I've had with this company. Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I'm returning everything. I need to find a reputable company that sells front wheel conversions at reasonable price.

I don't think so. The style you have, with the little cylinder shaped sensor works on either side, as long as the disc is oriented correctly. That's why they don't sell a left vs right version of that type. The ones with a rectangular sensor mounted on a metal ring have a left vs right mounting orientation, and so do the all-in-one models like KT or Kingmeter make.

Sorry you're having problems, but it's not because they sent you the wrong sensor, but maybe it's defective. That's why I suggested flipping the disc again, since it seems that the sensor is working/picking up the signal.

PAS works when pedaling backwards. In your picture the PAS magnet passes the sensor from right to left when pedaling backwards . You have defined your goal. The sensor wire is going towards the rear of the bike. Often this sensor is mounted with the wire going towards the front of the bike.This will result in the magnet passing the sensor in the opposite direction when pedaling forward. And magnet disc has the letter "A" on one side for "Active" , the "A" side faces the sensor.

aroundqube said:
PAS works when pedaling backwards. In your picture the PAS magnet passes the sensor from right to left when pedaling backwards . You have defined your goal. The sensor wire is going towards the rear of the bike. Often this sensor is mounted with the wire going towards the front of the bike.This will result in the magnet passing the sensor in the opposite direction when pedaling forward. And magnet disc has the letter "A" on one side for "Active" , the "A" side faces the sensor.

I mounted the sensor with the wire going forward as you stated and it still only works while pedaling backwards. I also was sent a brand new replacement disc and the same result it still happening. Only works when pedaling backwards.

E-HP said:
douglasdelay said:

I don't think so. The style you have, with the little cylinder shaped sensor works on either side, as long as the disc is oriented correctly. That's why they don't sell a left vs right version of that type. The ones with a rectangular sensor mounted on a metal ring have a left vs right mounting orientation, and so do the all-in-one models like KT or Kingmeter make.

Sorry you're having problems, but it's not because they sent you the wrong sensor, but maybe it's defective. That's why I suggested flipping the disc again, since it seems that the sensor is working/picking up the signal.

I flipped the disc and still only works when pedaling backwards. I was even sent a replacement disc and I'm still having the same result.

Just received my kit from ebikeling the other day, front hub, having the exactly the same problem, sent email to them no response as of yet

Terry180 said:
Just received my kit from ebikeling the other day, front hub, having the exactly the same problem, sent email to them no response as of yet
Quote from my ebikeling review:
"Credit where credit is due: eBikeLing tech support responded quickly to email inquiries. However the validly of the patronizing response can be subject to question. I believe the only qualifications required are the ability to read their web site as well as read and write email. An understanding of the technical aspects of their product(s) does not seem to enter into the equation."

They were originally very responsive however the more inconsistencies that I pointed out on their web site and documentation the less responsive they became until they quit responding completely.

https://ebikeling.com/collections/ebikeling-ebike-conversion-kit/products/waterproof-kit-36v-500w-700c-geared-front-rear-ebike-conversion-kit

aroundqube said:
The ebikeling link in the OP states set parameter P-11 to p= 1 . That setting is for PAS sensitivity. Perhaps try other numbers ?

I tried changing the PAS sensitivity and it did not correct the problem, unfortunately.

LewTwo said:
Terry180 said:
Quote from my ebikeling review:
"Credit where credit is due: eBikeLing tech support responded quickly to email inquiries. However the validly of the patronizing response can be subject to question. I believe the only qualifications required are the ability to read their web site as well as read and write email. An understanding of the technical aspects of their product(s) does not seem to enter into the equation."

They were originally very responsive however the more inconsistencies that I pointed out on their web site and documentation the less responsive they became until they quit responding completely.

https://ebikeling.com/collections/ebikeling-ebike-conversion-kit/products/waterproof-kit-36v-500w-700c-geared-front-rear-ebike-conversion-kit

They sent me a replacement PAS system twice and they all only function when pedaling backwards. I am appreciative that they sent replacements, but I keep telling them they do not work. I think they have a manufacturing issue from China and are unable to admit it to the customer, that's why they are choosing to ignore you because they are avoiding accountability.

It may take some long zip ties, but you could try flipping the sensor and attaching it to the bottom bracket shell instead of the chainstay. You won't be able to get it perfectly perpendicular to the magnet movement, but maybe close enough. You could try duct taping it in place just for testing.

Anyone consider the simple expedient of taking the sensor apart and seeing what is inside of the sensor?
pas00(2048).jpg
OK ... getting the "sillyshit" off it is not so simple ... in fact it was a royal pain in my most southern exposure.
The text on the back side says "MINSHINE.CN". That is a company in China that makes Bicycle sensors.
... and Google says: "Your search - PASDH05B - did not match any documents."

On the front side extreme right there are two Hall sensors "U1" and "U2".
So the board CAN determine which way the PAS rotor is turning.
On the left side there is a six pin surface mount chip that I believe controls when and what is sent to the motor controller on the white 'signal' wire. The only way to determine what that signal actually is for someone to tap that signal wire with an o'scope, logic analyzer or data logger.

pas03.jpg
Sorry guys. That is the best I can do handheld. That six pin surface mount chip is only about 2 mm tall.
My best guess is it is inscribed with "30K3h" but that means nothing to me and does not show up in a Google search.
For all i know it could be a logic array or very small MPU.

My gut instinct is that if PAS ONLY works in reverse that someone screwed up the controller firmware (and they will never acknowledge it).

From another threar on PAS Sensors ....
amberwolf said:
Ebikes.ca has a page about PAS sensors that gives some examples of waveforms you can look for with an oscilloscope.
https://ebikes.ca/learn/pedal-assist.html :thumb:

I tried everything I could think of to find out what that SOT25-6 chip is, but came up blank, even trying to match possible functionality by pin assignment, based on the stuff I can trace out from those pics. :(

Looking at the pictures, that disk could be mounted on the chain gear side, and the sensor placed appropriately and it would work.

If you cannot do that, then try buying a different sensor/disk,

I have never owned a PAS sensor that couldn't be used on either side, but have never owned one with a LED on it,

on my first ebike,i got pissed off about having to turn the pedals so extended the sensor wires and fitted the magnetic disk to the front wheel hub with the sensor jubily clipped to tha fork leg,worked a treat,then thust used the brake lever switches to cut power,didnt see the point in having an ebike and still have to pedal,bit like having a dog and barking yourself,later i changed the 250w controller to a 500w and fitted a throttle with ignition switch+voltmeter so no lousy pas!.

Back