c961 error 06

artron9

100 µW
Hi
I just received my new c961 display and it is giving me an error code 06. This means a low voltage situation. However, my battery 48v is fully charges to 54volts. Where is the low voltage situation?. I also have a new controller installed which is the same as the original. Do any of you have any suggestions as to removing that error code? Please help?

Are you actually reading 54V out of the battery with a multimeter?

Thanks Tomjasz
I am getting a reading of 54.5 volts every time I have charged this 48v battery this past year. I cant figure this Low Voltage 06 error situation. I've got a message to the seller on Ebay. Lets see if I get a response I researched this all weekend without any solution. If I continue to attempt starting up the display, I have even gotten a error code 76 which means nothing as far as the error codes listed? I have read every post on several sites but cannot solve this problem?

Frustrating for sure. Have you reviewed all the 961 settings?

Again thank you tomjasz!
I've done all I can do at this point. Maybe its defective? I am using a new replacement controller with the same specs as the original one. I sent China a video of the issue but I'm sure that the solution may be worse than the problem. Meaning by the time I send it back and get a replacement. Meanwhile, I will continue to check connections and hope that the cure is right in front of me!

artron9 said:
I've done all I can do at this point. Maybe its defective? I am using a new replacement controller with the same specs as the original one.

Are all the settings in all the menus identical to what they were with the original controller and display, from when the system was correctly working?

If not, one of those could be causing problems. Any of them that is different can be changed to what it used to work with and then retested.

If you have not had battery voltage or general power-on or shutoff problems before, it is unlikely to be the battery itself, but some questions to eliminate things:

Is the voltage reading from a multimeter, or is it from the display itself?

If reading the voltage from a multimeter, is this at the discharge port (that goes to the controller) while it is plugged into the system and the system is on? Or only with the battery disconnected from the system or the system is off?

More information on the entire situation may also be helpful to narrow down the cause(s) of the problem(s):

What was the reason the display was replaced?

What was the reason the controller was replaced?

What specifically happened just before the start of each problem that you are having?

What is different now than before the problem(s)?

Also note that if the firmware version in the new controller is not identical to that of the old controller, there is a small chance it may not communicate identically with the display (and vice-versa), depending on how the firmware in each device is written. Meaning, settings could be interpreted differently, or even ignored if the different FW doesn't know what that setting / value is for. Error codes might come up that don't "mean" anything in the manuals, because they shouldn't happen except at the factory (due to misprogramming, etc) so no information exists outside the factory for them.

Amberwolf thank you for your extensive response. I do appreciate your efforts. First, the original display that came with the rear wheel hub 48v 500w kit was a Bafang 850C. When it stopped functioning I was at a loss trying to figure out what the cause was. All my research led me to the controller which i was able to replace with a duplicate of the original that came with the kit. Since all the connections seemed to be in order and the new controller made no difference with the 860c display, I deduced that the problem was actually the display.
When I checked the voltage on the battery, I tested it off the bike with the power on. It always showed 54.5volts. Here is a current update: Tonite i put the power on at the battery and pushed the ON button to start the display. Again the error code 06 showed on the screen. A few minutes later, the error code changed to 76 which is not listed on the page of error codes. However, while the code was showing, I tried the thumb throttle and I was shocked to see power going to the rear wheel. Mind you the only item showing on the screen was the error code.
I'm not sure what all this means? Could be the new display is faulty? I am trying to communicate with the seller and sent them a video of the display actions. Let's see their response? i gotta tell you I will be taking the bike outside in the morning and give it a go!
I'll let you know the result! Again thanks for your interest in my problem.

E-HP Thank you.
The display was an ebay purchase. Bafang LCD Display C961 for Bafang EBIKE. I researched it and this display is supposed to be compatible with my system.

Was it a used item? Or new from a seller that does a lot of this type of business? If used, it could be defective (it could be even if new).

The reason we ask for links to things when troubleshooting is there is often (but not always) info on the actual sale page that tells us things the person with the problem doesn't even know to look for (and could take pages to tell them all the things to look for, that we might simply recognize from previous experience). ;)

artron9 said:
First, the original display that came with the rear wheel hub 48v 500w kit was a Bafang 850C. When it stopped functioning I was at a loss trying to figure out what the cause was. All my research led me to the controller which i was able to replace with a duplicate of the original that came with the kit. Since all the connections seemed to be in order and the new controller made no difference with the 860c display, I deduced that the problem was actually the display.

What was the original problem? (what does "stopped functioning" mean in this case?)

I ask because sometimes there is another problem which isnt' fixed yet, which the original symptoms may lead to.

Might make no difference to the rest of the issues...but it's worth finding out.

Regarding the settings: If you haven't gone thru all the menus and set every setting to the appropriate value for each for your system, there could be one that prevents the system from operating correctly (or at all). I am repeating this (in more detail) since you haven't responded to either comment in the thread about that so far, and don't want you to skip this step and just continue replacing things when it might not be necessary. ;)

If you didn't go thru the settings on the display for the first new part (controller) it may simply even be a setting on that that hasn't been correctly set, preventing your original display from working with the new controller.

Something about displays, related to the above, with the new display vs the original controller model: Not every display works with every controller, and vice-versa. Even the ones that do may have access to different groups of settings, and/or the controller may respond to those settings differently, and/or the display may show different values for the same data than a different display. It may not even be the display's hardware model that is the problem, but simply different firmware revisions between them, where something was changed in a newer revision that makes *something* different enough between the new and the old that it doesn't work as expected. (regardless of whatever compatiblity lists, dealers, sellers, etc., might say, as they may not even know there is a new FW much less that it is different enough to cause a problem).

A made up scenario to express the possibility more clearly: Let's say there is a setting for battery voltage selection. The controller and display don't tell each other that it's a 48v battery. They instead have a list of possible choices, call them 0, 1, 2, and 3 (could even be just 0 and 1). But what each of those means to each device may be different. 0 might mean 36v on the controller, and 1 might mean 48v. On the display, maybe 0 means 24v, 1 means 36v, and 2 means 48v, and 3 means 52v. So the display might show you have it set to a 48v battery, but the controller has been told an invalid setting that it does not understand by this same setting, since it only knows what 0 and 1 mean. So it gives the first error code that it's firmware has, related to battery voltage, which happens to be "low battery". (if it's first error was high battery, it'd show that, probably). In this event, the system would not start, because the controller's LVC has engaged, and it is trying to prevent overdischarge damage to the battery it thinks is too low.

So...it might be possible for the display to not be setup correctly for your controller (or rather for the display to not be setting the controller to the right settings, and/or not telling you what the controller is actually set to), but it might not be a visible problem at the display itself.

When I checked the voltage on the battery, I tested it off the bike with the power on. It always showed 54.5volts.
Has it ever been tested for voltage while connected to the bike with bike power on? I ask because if the battery has any kind of problem that causes it to drop in voltage when a load is applied to it it could drop below the controller's LVC and make the controller shutdown, giving a low battery reading. Testing the voltage at the controller's battery input connector is the best place to do the test.

Note that it is not a likely problem given the new results of the motor being able to spin after waiting till the 06 error disappears.

hello amberwolf: i did take the bike out today and it did run to some degree. The C961 display flashed on for a moment and the error 76 appeared. This is a brand new display from what I could determine. There was no other info on the screen except the error. I rode it around the area and I did not see any increase in acceleration. It probably was moving at 10MPH. Just a guess. When I said the display stopped functioning, I meant that the screen was blank. I was unable to set any of the screen functions. Also, I do not see any way to adjust the controller. I am tempted to just buy another display since I know it will be a pita to return it and get my money back. Maybe I will check with Amazon?
So I assume the power from the battery through the wiring to the display is ok. If it is a firmware issue, how would I update the firmware? I don't know what adjustments i could make since the controller is fixed and the display is basically blank?
My conclusion is a faulty display? Thanks for your interest in my problem! Ron

So just to confirm, this is a new display and new controller purchased from different vendors.
Was the new controller purchased from the same vendor as the original?
Was the original kit, which I assume worked, purchased from the same vendor, or were the components purchased separately?

E-HP Thank you for your input.
The controller is similar to the original but purchased from a another vendor. The display is from the same maker as the motor, Bafgang. Out of frustration, I just ordered a Bafang display that MAY be compatible with my setup. I will let you know how it goes. The more I get into this sport, the more I think that dealing with a reputable local dealer may be the way to go, but then I hear of tales that are just as bad as mine. Foreign parts are always going to be suspect along with delivery delays. If you are like me, you want your parts to work and you want them NOW! I will report how the new display performs. Thanks for all your concerns! Ron

There is no error 76 and Bafang does not make displays. I have a C961 that will NOT work with Bafang motors.

Just to reiterate some things you may not have gotten out of the previous posts, along with more detail in some cases, to help you get your system working. After that, some thoughts on your most recent test results as they relate to your previous test results, clarifications of some information you might only know part of, and suggestion as to course of action at this point.

Apologies for the length; I put it all here in the hope it will be useful.

If the controller and display don't come as a set, they may not work together regardless of what brand/model/maker/etc they are. (they might, they might not, it's just about a crapshoot).

If you don't go thru all the settings in all the display menus and make sure they are correct for your setup, the system may not work as expected even if they come as a pair. If there are no menus, no user-setup at all, then you can't change anything in the system, not even the wheel size, and so the speedometer wouldn't be very usable since it might be factory set for the wrong size wheel. Etc.

If the display is blank, and you cannot use the steps in the manual to get into the menus to set it up, then you have hardware troubleshooting to perform. Possible causes include:
--controller and display are incompatible with each other
--one or the other of them has a problem
--there is a connection failure between them
--there is a miswire between them (pin order on connectors is different between the two)
--battery power is not reaching the display correctly (unlikely since the controller does work after a delay, and it could not if battery power didn't reach the display to then power on the controller)
Etc.

Assuming anything when troubleshooting is generally unhelpful; testing each possible thing that could be wrong, step by step, and noting down each test peformed along with each result to eliminate them is generally helpful. Troubleshooting is a process, and if followed logically, including noting down each test done and it's results, will eventually find and fix problems. ;)

Firmware and the software to install it is generally not available except at the factory.

(The only real exception is open-source firmware OSF OSFW written by end-users for specific models and versions of specific displays and controllers (see the various threads on those here on ES for what the OSFW does that the OEM FW doesn't, and what you would have to buy to be compatible with each particular OSFW, if interested)).

Since the system does power on and operate eventually, but runs slowly, it implies that the controller is running in a limited default assist mode it starts up in if it can't talk to the display, or receives invalid info from the display telling it what mode to be in.

If the original display was blank, but the system still turned on and operated, it probably means the display unit had failed, but the rest of the system was still working. If this isn't the case, then you would need to be step-by-step-clear about the exact problem sequence you originally had that led to the blank display.

If that *is* the case, then your original controller works fine, and it's just your original display that failed.

Since the new controller has, from what little info has been provided so far, never worked correctly, I would put the old one back on, and order a display identical to the original display, so that you have the best chance of it being compatible.

The new controller being "similar" to the old one but not identical makes it pretty likely that it is not compatible with the original display (and thus the new controller wouldn't be compatible with a display that *was* compatible with the old controller), and if the display was not bought with the controller it is pretty likely that it is not compatible with it either.

If you get a display that is different than the one specifically meant for that specific controller, there is a good chance it won't work. It doesn't matter if it is for the same company (bafang)--bafang makes a lot of different systems that are NOT inter-compatible. Just because it says bafang on it doens't mean it works together.

(if you are curious, look thru my posts a few years back about a "bafang" fatbike motor wheel kit I tested, the display for it doesn't work correctly on a different controller of the very same type and brand as the one with the kit, and the display from that different controller also doesn't work correclty on the kit's controller--even though both displays are visually the same and both controllers are the same brand).

Your motor manufacturer has nothing to do with whether a display (or controller) with the same brand name on it will work with each other. The only thing that matters for that is if the *display* and *controller* are matched with each other. The motor will generally work with "any" common brushless ebike/scooter/etc controller, as long as the connections to it are the same, or you wire it to be the same.

All ebike parts are "Foreign"; virtually every single one is made in China, regardless of what a seller may tell you or what sticker they put on it that says differently. Virtually no seller does anything at all to what they buy from China; the very few that do may put a sticker on it with their brand (if they didn't just have the factory or a warehouse in China do that for them); maybe less than a handful might actually do some form of testing to verify a few of their products as random sample testing. So if all foreign parts are suspect, then all ebike/scooter/etc parts are suspect, no matter where they are sold from. ;)

There are exceptions to every rule, including this one. ;)

Personally, I don't like fixing things. I like building something and having it "just work" and stay working.

But stuff doesn't ever seem to work that way, and it costs too much to have other people fix things for me, so I learned the process of troubleshooting and got pretty good at it. It's tedious, time-consuming, and brain-melting on occasion...but when used methodically, it works. :)

Amberwolf: I couldn't have said it better! You are an amazing person. Not because of what you say but the fact that you spent so much time trying to share your expertise with a fellow enthusiast! I respect your extreme knowledge of the subject and appreciate all the guidance you have shown. Thank you for sharing!
I will get back to the forum with any results positive or otherwise.! Ron

Back