Battery charge does not show in display anymore

E-driver_

1 kW
So when I was driving the bike, everything in the display was working.

Then when I turned it off or something the display does not show the battergy charge anymore. So I don't know how much battery is left.

I know the battery is not empty like the picture shows.

It still gives current and the rest of the bike works. So I have no idea why the charge is now showing empty/invisible(or very weak).

Any idea on what to do to make it show the charge again?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-09-29 kl. 22.21.37.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-29 kl. 22.21.37.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,941
Carefully check all of your connectors. Particularly the one from your display.

:D :bolt:

E-driver_ said:

Then when I turned it off or something the display does not show the battergy charge anymore. So I don't know how much battery is left.

It still gives current and the rest of the bike works. So I have no idea why the charge is now showing empty/invisible(or very weak).

Have you charged the battery to full to see if any bars display? What model of controller do you have?

If the display is working, it's getting battery voltage. So if the bars aren't showing, it could be something wrong with the circuit that feeds that part of the display, or the display could think the battery is empty because it thinks it's a higher voltage battery than what you have. Meaning if you're running 36V, but the controller works with 36V/48V/52V, and thinks it is hooked up to a 52V battery, then 42V would be empty or zero bars, but for a 36V battery, fully charged, all bars.

E-HP said:
E-driver_ said:

Have you charged the battery to full to see if any bars display? What model of controller do you have?

If the display is working, it's getting battery voltage. So if the bars aren't showing, it could be something wrong with the circuit that feeds that part of the display, or the display could think the battery is empty because it thinks it's a higher voltage battery than what you have. Meaning if you're running 36V, but the controller works with 36V/48V/52V, and thinks it is hooked up to a 52V battery, then 42V would be empty or zero bars, but for a 36V battery, fully charged, all bars.

Hmm any idea on how to change it so the display knows it is 48volts? I changed a setting called P5 to 15 which apparantly should make the display think it is 48 volts. But I am not sure.

E-driver_ said:
Hmm any idea on how to change it so the display knows it is 48volts? I changed a setting called P5 to 15 which apparantly should make the display think it is 48 volts. But I am not sure.

Is that an LCD3 display?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82800#p1215074

E-HP said:
E-driver_ said:

Is that an LCD3 display?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82800#p1215074

Hmm I have now tried to charge the battery fully and then it showed charge again. Any idea on how to reprogram the controller so it shows correct charge also when the battery drops in charge?

I have a 48 volt battery on the bike.

Yes I think it is called kt-lcd3.

He talks about it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6x8V0NZQ

But what is strange is in his video he goes to p5 and then sets it to 0 - 0. Now I don't know how to get to that alternative in P5 in my display. Mine just goes between 1 and 64.

Top picture below shows his setting in the video which is to 0 0. This should apparantly make the display understand the charge regardless of battery voltage I think he mentioned. Now the two pictures below that shows my own settings which goes between 1-64. Does not seem to work for me to set it to 0-0. It just goes between 1-64. But maybe I am doing the button command wrong with my fingers or something. Perhaps I have to push them in a special way to reveal 0-0(?).

Anyway I have set P5 to 15 since it seems to be a common number for 48 volt batteries. But that does not seem to work when the charge/voltage drops.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.40.07.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.40.07.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,894
  • Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.48.30.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.48.30.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,894
  • Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.49.17.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 10.49.17.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,894
E-driver_ said:
Anyway I have set P5 to 15 since it seems to be a common number for 48 volt batteries. But that does not seem to work when the charge/voltage drops.
So you disconnected the battery from the controller, then fully charged it before reconnecting it?

E-HP said:
E-driver_ said:
So you disconnected the battery from the controller, then fully charged it before reconnecting it?

Yes and now it actully seems to work. I get a reading in the display. Perhaps it had not registered that I had changed to 15 on the P5 before or something.

But now.. Another problem arises :)

Thing is the battery seems to empty very fast on this bike, display and controller(I have ridden it today outside to see how long it lasts). As you can see on the image at the top below it shows one blip and very low charge. And it also did not give as much power at the end also. Giving me the old familiar cut off in small steps for where you know that the battery's charge is going to die soon.

But.. I found this strange since it is a 13ah battery on 48volts so I thought it is dying too quickly.

So I plugged it into another bbs02 bafang, which you can see in the picture at the bottom. And that displays shows 66%(!) of charge is still left in this battery. So why is the other bike showing such a low charge?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 17.20.50.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 17.20.50.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,866
  • Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 17.20.45.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-30 kl. 17.20.45.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,861
It's odd that your LCD3 doesn't support P5=0. When I used that display, I ran 52V, which wasn't an option on my controller (36V/48V). That meant the battery bar display was always pegged at full. I set P5=0, so the lower middle part of the LCD3 display would show the actual voltage of the battery, which I used for estimating my remaining charge. Same as with my current setup, I only use voltage for that purpose. If you have a voltmeter, you should measure the actual battery voltage to see which display is providing the more accurate readout with respect to bars.

E-HP said:
It's odd that your LCD3 doesn't support P5=0. When I used that display, I ran 52V, which wasn't an option on my controller (36V/48V).

Perhaps I have set something in another setting or something that fucks up the measurment of P5. I have no idea. But I cannot get it below 1.

Battery is 66% so something is definitely off here.

I have set it like this below now. I don't remember exactly why I set them like this from the start. Before I had a 36volt battery on this bike. But now when I have changed to 48volt on this bike I have set P5 to 15 which I have read is the right one for 48 volts(if 0 0 is not available):

p1: 87
p2: 5
p3: 1
p4: 0
p5: 15

c1: 07
c2: 0
c3: 8
c4: 0
c5: 10
c6: 5
c7: 0
c8: 1
c9: 0
c10: n
c11: 0
c12: 4
c13: 0
c14: 2

You do know that if you press the center button a few times, the KT LCD-3 will show your voltage? I don't consider it accurate since I can move the same battery around and get different readings on my various LCD3's.

The battery gauge often gets mixed up when I change from a 48V to a 36V. It will power up with the gauge blank, but after the motor starts, the gauge will activate properly.

There was one time, when I had a bad connection on the receive data pin on the flat 5 pin display connector. Then the battery gauge and the speedometer didn't work. I could understand the speedometer not getting data packets from the controller, but since the battery power goes right to the LCD3, I would expect it to be able to update the gauge itself.

I set P5=15, regardless of whether I use a 36V or 48V battery.

docw009 said:
The battery gauge often gets mixed up when I change from a 48V to a 36V. It will power up with the gauge blank, but after the motor starts, the gauge will activate properly.

Aha so maybe the reading gets weird when you change batteries a lot on the same bike? For example I recently changed from a high 48volt 17ah to this one which is around 48v 13ah. Maybe it takes a while for the controller to "learn" this or something? To get a correct reading.

E-driver_ said:
docw009 said:

Aha so maybe the reading gets weird when you change batteries a lot on the same bike? For example I recently changed from a high 48volt 17ah to this one which is around 48v 13ah. Maybe it takes a while for the controller to "learn" this or something? To get a correct reading.

Where it happens is when I take a 13S pack, which might be at 45V, and put on a fully charged 10S at 42V. Now the controller doesn't know whether it's looking at an even more discharged 13S or a fully charged 10S. It seems to make the decision as soon as I run the motor. I wonder how it knows. Maybe voltage sag or something,

docw009 said:
E-driver_ said:
docw009 said:

Where it happens is when I take a 13S pack, which might be at 45V, and put on a fully charged 10S at 42V. Now the controller doesn't know whether it's looking at an even more discharged 13S or a fully charged 10S. It seems to make the decision as soon as I run the motor. I wonder how it knows. Maybe voltage sag or something,

Aha.

Hmm. Yeah what do you think might happen in my case? Perhaps it is confused yeah. And "learns" if I run the same battery enough times or something?

I have now changed controller and motor on this bike since I managed to overextend the motor and burn something in there which I have talked about in another thread, where I am trying to fix that motor (to put on another bike possibly in the future).

Now, also after changing the motor and controller, but keeping the display, it stills shows empty battery and also the speedometer seems to be off.

Now, I have used an exactly similar display on another bike and so I know it can work with these controllers. So I don't know why this display shows such a strange reading actually.

Perhaps I have managed to reach some setting that made the battery charge without color/invisible or something. Because if you look closely in the picture below it has dots in there for charge. But they are nearly invisible:

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-10-28 kl. 10.43.47.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-10-28 kl. 10.43.47.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 620
E-driver_ said:
Perhaps I have managed to reach some setting that made the battery charge without color/invisible or something. Because if you look closely in the picture below it has dots in there for charge. But they are nearly invisible:

Looks almost like you're running 1880W too, if you look closely.

So the other exact same display, doesn't allow you to set P5=0 either?

Did you try swapping the displays?

E-HP said:
E-driver_ said:

Looks almost like you're running 1880W too, if you look closely.

So the other exact same display, doesn't allow you to set P5=0 either?

Did you try swapping the displays?

I changed it completely to the sw900. But I intend to use this display on another bike when I get the time over to do a fun project again. Then I will report back again. For example I have a fun project I want to do with an old scott frame. I will let you know if this problem arises again on that bike.

Back