Baserunner/Cycle Analyst issues

I am trying to build an ebike with a L10 Baserunner and V3 WP8 Cycle Analyst, neither will connect via the USB data port and the CA displays "SLOW PWR UP" on it's screen.

I don't know what is wrong, the battery is reading >48V on my voltmeter. Under the BR throttle heatshrink I have white, yellow, and orange wires, all three read 48V+. I had to ground the orange wire (key switch?) to get the CA to turn on (but then it just shows 'slow pwr up').

Sorry about the picture quality... Any and all help is appreciated, thank you and have a good day.

IMG_20221201_184815125_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221202_115704384.jpg
IMG_20221202_120012384.jpg

nalu808 said:
Key switch should run to battery pos, not ground negative.
That's how my key and lights are already wired. But the 3 wires under the throttle heatshrink all read positive, and the orange wire is the only one that activates the CA and only when run to negative.

The CA thread says this about that error message:

teklektik said:
k.ewin said:
- Yesterday I did an upgrade to 3.11. I had 3.11b2 running before without problems.
- After upgrading (and some "hardware work" such as shrink wrapping some connectors) I did a test ride and everything went smoothly
- Today I connected the batteries and the CA booted to an error message: "SLOW PWR UP". Even disconnecting and restarting did not help.

When at the "SLOW PWR UP" message I can use the CA buttons to browse through the settings and they seem to be correct. Things like the break switch indicator are working well, but booting to the main screen does not work any more. It always stops at "SLOW PRW UP".

What does this message mean?

I don't know if it's important, but my CA is one of those with the boot issue.
The "Slo Pwr Up" message was instituted as an indicator that the battery voltage has been applied but has not risen above the Shutdown voltage. This can happen with precharge switches or when pedaling with the main power disconnected (e.g. on a stand) where regen 'sort of' powers things up. This was a source of memory corruption that was addressed last year and the message is a way of indicating that things are starting up but the voltage isn't there yet. When the voltage rises above the Shutdown voltage the CA finishes the startup sequence and becomes active.

Since you are seeing this all the time instead of as a transient screen, I would guess that your voltage calibration has somehow become corrupted. This would cause the CA to think the voltage is other than it is (too low in your case) so it will be misled and never complete the power up sequence. It may be that other calibration settings are NG as well.

Reset Calibration to Defaults

The fastest means to remedy this is to upgrade the firmware again but select both checkboxes so a new default calibration will be put in place. This will differ from your particular device-specific calibration by a few percent but will work okay. This is should get things going.

Restore Device-specific Calibration

Optionally, you can then restore you original per-device calibration from an old setup file that you have read from your CA. Load up that setup file and enable Preferences/'Show Protected Settings'. The calibration settings will appear in the Calibration category. Read your CA into a different tab (I like to use a whole different Setup Utility), and manually copy over the old calibration settings into the present CA settings. Check the boxes for the protected settings and write the settings back to the CA.

It's unclear that any of the other things in play with your original re-flash could have caused this, so I will cut a ticket to look into this possible corruption issue.

Personally, with my Baserunner Z9 StandAlone and CA3-Wp, I never had to open the shrink wrap at all. I just stuck pins in the orange and red pins on the connector and shorted them permanently:
Baserunner_MainsPlug~2.jpg

Then whenever I turned my battery on, which had it's own key, the CA started up. Btw, one thing to watch out for, my battery will show voltage on a volt meter even when it is turned off. Leakage through the MOSFETs being used to prevent discharge, or a shunt or something. So don't assume seeing positive voltage on a volt meter actually means your battery is on if you have a switch. You can't use the voltage for anything, but it is there and measurable.

I didn't even realize I could access the CA settings with the slow pwr up error. Reset to default and the error message is gone but it's still not getting full voltage. Even after changing the battery settings for 48V 13AH the CA still reads half voltage.

The TTL-USB finally recognized the CA, but the Phaserunner suite still says disconnected even when plugged into the Baserunner. Hopefully it's related to the voltage issue...

The battery is definitely live when switched on, it reads over 48 volts on my voltmeter, and it powers the lights and horn.

E-HP said:
DarknessGraves said:
Even after changing the battery settings for 48V 13AH the CA still reads half voltage.

Just confirming that by this you mean you set the CA for 13 cells and Li-ion for the chemistry, correct?

Yes 13 Cell Li-ion.

Also, with voltage scaling maxed at 99.9 it still only displays 36V...

DarknessGraves said:

That's a factory set value. What was it set to before you changed it?

Per the ES manual:
"3.2 Determine and Save Device-Specific Settings – Important!
1.Enter Setup and record the value of Cal->VScale which calibrates voltage measurements.This is specific to your CA and is set by Grin Tech during production."

Maybe this would be useful: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&p=1393510&hilit=slow+pwr#p1393510

E-HP said:
DarknessGraves said:

That's a factory set value. What was it set to before you changed it?

Per the ES manual:
"3.2 Determine and Save Device-Specific Settings – Important!
1.Enter Setup and record the value of Cal->VScale which calibrates voltage measurements.This is specific to your CA and is set by Grin Tech during production."

Maybe this would be useful: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&p=1393510&hilit=slow+pwr#p1393510
Somewhere Grin says the default value is ~31.00V/V

When I set mine to 31 I get the slow pwr up error again, at 50 it only reads 16V.

I've never heard of voltage scaling a voltmeter before this, even the cheap ones are usually within a 1-3 volt margin of error. The CA isn't reading proper voltage, and the TTL-USB cable isn't recognizing the BR, perhaps these two issues are related but what is the cause and solution?

That isn't even the only setting that will mess up all your other settings. I remember when I first switched from 48V to a 52V battery, I mistakenly switched the system voltage setting in Phaserunner suite as well, and every other voltage setting got messed up and nothing worked. Only read the manual later and found out you aren't supposed to change that even when changing your battery to a higher voltage one, lol. Just change things like the low voltage start and end thresholds for low pack voltage.

Back