Grinding noise from motor?

kmxtornado

10 kW
I recently swapped controllers and tried to figure out the wiring. I’m confident I connected everything correctly. However, there’s a grinding noise from the motor when the throttle is engaged. The wheel spins very gently.

My guesses:
1. Can a loose 1 of 3 motor wires cause this? I know that can happen with brushless motors on rc cars but no clue on these hub motors for e-bikes.

2. I do not have PAS sensor installed on the capable controller. Controller via the display thinks the PAS is functioning and not getting feedback and so it hesitates? Perhaps there’s a setting in the display to turn off PAS altogether? I’ve never had a display before on this project from 11 years ago. So brand new to me.

3. The controller is rated for 36 and 48v. Possible that the settings in the display need to be changed to assign one vs the other? Display appears to be working.

Abit of a loss at the moment. Hoping to get some expert help to get my bike running again. All products with the exception of the throttle are KT branded and from the same seller.

TIA

Bad match on the phases/hall sensors probably.
It will run, but grindy sounding, and pulling lots of amps.
A lot of times the colors don't match, like with your throttle
There's a bunch of posts about it.

You might end up with green to green, but yellow to blue, and blue to yellow, just for example.

Okay, I’ll look for the posts. I thought maybe my P1 and P2 settings were wrong. I was toying around with it and no luck. So I’ll check the wiring.

kmxtornado said:
1. Can a loose 1 of 3 motor wires cause this? I know that can happen with brushless motors on rc cars but no clue on these hub motors for e-bikes.

A loose phase wire connection can cause a pretty nasty sounding groan from the motor, so before doing any swapping, make sure the connectors are solidly attached.

I'll check that too. Possible some of my connections on those 3 bullet connectors weren't tight. I think my connectors were for a gauge that's smaller than what I'm using. May need to revisit the hardware store again tomorrow. Thanks for looking out.

You guys are both going to hate me. I thought I was working in good lighting, but apparently I'm color blind. I connected the wrong color 3-phase wires together. Green to blue instead of green to green. I'm an idiot. Feel free to tell me so. Didn't mean to waste you guys's time with that. I was all over the net including this forum looking at P1 and P2 settings and trying to figure out how many magnets I have and ratios and all that only to find I was just blind.

If either of you two are ever San Francisco, feel free to reach out to me and you can ride any of my electric rideables. Best way to contact me is through Instagram @funcentric. I really appreciate you guy's help and keeping an eye on the forum and responding to my questions so quickly.

Thanks again @Voltron.

Back