DIY Stromer Di2 Charging, Shimano

500WhatsThat

10 mW
Having built DIY ebikes before, I have chargers and batteries along with a box of connectors and wires and am not afraid to use them.
However, the Stromer ST2 is very proprietary in its design & use.
Seems there should be a way to use a standard Lion, NIMH charger with enough specs and pin-outs known for the Stromer system.
Specifically, has anyone figured out how to charge the Di2 Shimano, without the Di2 ($$$) charger? The pins read zero volts so I assume there's a microcontroller handshake needed, or?

Any experience for the main battery would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance :thumb:

Stromer batteries do have restrictions (ST2 doent't work with ST3, or st1X doesnt work with ST2, etc.). You need to changer BMS if you want to connect with other controllers.
I suggest you to change batt & controller for open systems.
Ideal combination is:
- batt 72V (with open BMS);
- phaserunner controller ;
- Cacle analyst;

If you choose open bat(BMS) with 72V, its cheeper and more powerful than stromer original batery.

Then you will lose the torque sensor. How will you get a PAS function? What about Regen? Want to use a throttle? Then you don`t need to buy a Stromer. Get an escooter grom the beginning....

Then you will lose the torque sensor. How will you get a PAS function? What about Regen? Want to use a throttle? Then you don`t need to buy a Stromer. Get an escooter grom the beginning....
Hello,
Sorry for the late response. For the torque sensor you can use the NCTE 136 from ebikes.ca as it works great. Avoid the model 128 which is too short for stromer bikes.
Alternatively, there is another forum post that shows how to connect the original Stromer torque sensor to cycle analyst, but with a 5 Volt converter.
Stromer batteries do not work without being connected with other stromer parts, as explained above. This is the problem.
In orther to keep Stromer aspect but more durable, you have to change batt, controler et torque sensor. You can keep the orignal motor (other post show how to cable them if needed).

Back