Anyone offer Ebike consultation for $$?

Hey,

Love a friend out there who would be willing to videochat and live guide me sometimes for quick Learning

But been helped a lot! In my other 2WD thread which has been great, just slower and more questions for me to ask etc. Sometimes I’d love just someone to tell me what’s what lol.

Just have been needing to learn how to hook up 2WD of a crystalyte 3540 which will soon have the second phaserunner of the system with a Gmac 8T/with PR both 700 wheels with my Ca3 and 52V 16ah batteries 2x/3x to carry me, diamond frame -200lbs ish and bike trailer of bicycle tools 300lbs ish faster up 6-8% grades than 10kph but hopefully 15/18kph. I charge at every customers home when fixing bikes so I have enough juice.

Connected via Grin splitter, using two batteries at once...maybe parallel?? But don’t think it so necessary? Havnt looked at how yet either.

I run my system with sempu Torque setting for PAS and an 200Hwh and 300-400 hWh up a hill

So far ive learned these are things I need to do from others. That correct and all?

Divide rshunts after adding by 4

Speed sensor requires the magnet pole pair count of the motor that has the primary splitter attached.

Controllers amps should be changed to affect balance of motor usage, calculate this by seeing voltage in/out when motor is beginning to move and when moving at top speed for motor with least values? Set other motor to match lesser range so as to not over heat?

Turn off regennin ca3
Regen must be turned off on PR
Defaults use low throttle voltage as regen setting?

In the PR
Set the brake active range to be lower than the min output voltage of the ca3 when throttle is off.

Set the active range

Extra tuning is the upper end of the throttle active range can be increased to slow the acceleration and decreased to increase acceleration

Current limit in the PR affects the motor balance

Then tinker with CA3
Current throttle mode. Slow and speeding ramp up and ramp down parameters

Matteo's Mobile Bicycle Repair said:
Just trying to understand whats best to carry my 500lb bike and trailer set up better up 30% hills. i assumed 2WD and got a gmac 8t to install alongside my Crystalyte 1500 watt set up..but now am not so sure...and just want to find out good conclusions rather than assuming too much and potentially wasting time and money.

Free consultation - You can't do it with a hub motor, or even two.

So are these hills in Toronto? I noticed the steepest paved road in Toronto is 18%, so I assume you are talking about offroad. To climb 30% offroad with a 500lb load, traction will be as much of an issue as power. So, even if you went with a mid-drive, you still probably wouldn't be able to climb 30%.

Oh I guess I have a bad eye for judging hill gradient.
There’s a hill going east on York Mills at Yonge that I thought was such a grade.

But I’ve been doing pretty steep hills wth just my crystalyte but only 10km/h with the trailer and hoped to be able to do a little faster when need be. And some hills just were really torturous. Had to wind zigzag across the entire road to make it up.

There’s a hill going east on York Mills at Yonge that I thought was such a grade.
Do you have a celphone or tablet? Almost certainly you can use one of the various free apps that measures slope/etc. Some can even do this over a route (Strava?) to map out your actual real grades on your specific paths.

When you know those, you can then go to Grin Tech's trip simulator and see what your actual system(s) could do on those routes.

The other thing you could do is try reducing the weight of your setup. Sometimes this is tough to do, and you may only be able to shave a few pounds off. If you remove 5 pounds of a 500pound setup, you saved 1 percent of the weight, and taht should mean saving 1 percent of the power usage to go up a hill. 10 pounds, 2%. 100lbs, 20%.

Adding more weight in the form of more motors, which probably arent' going to be able to run in their efficient speed zones if it's a steep hill, and thus will waste a lot of power as heat, is not necessarily the right route to go.

But before you can figure out what you need to change, you have to know what you are facing. Measure the route first. :)

Unfortunatley no one can do that for you remotely; you have to ride it and test it.

but i believe my situation calls for two motors to help me. but not sure. I two approx 500lbs of bike trailer and bike and me, like to move at approx 25/30 km/h and when i hit a grade of 30% higher i find it hard to get up the hill. S

Probably best not to crosspost the same question in 2 forums/3 threads.

In any case, if you haven't yet reached the limit of RWD traction or motor size, then 2WD is disadvantageous.
You don't need two little controllers and two little motors.
If you like Grin, try a XOFO DD45_Std + Statorade with a 72V 90A-capable pack.

fatty said:
but i believe my situation calls for two motors to help me. but not sure. I two approx 500lbs of bike trailer and bike and me, like to move at approx 25/30 km/h and when i hit a grade of 30% higher i find it hard to get up the hill. S

Probably best not to crosspost the same question in 2 forums/3 threads.

Yes May be right, I just am feeling un educated and desperate, thought perhaps someone offered more personalized service to help lead me a bit more.

In any case, if you haven't yet reached the limit of RWD traction or motor size, then 2WD is disadvantageous.
You don't need two little controllers and two little motors.
If you like Grin, try a XOFO DD45_Std + Statorade with a 72V 90A-capable pack.

Ya that sounds like a powerful motor set up, I already have 3x 52v batteries, i May just not use the crystalyte/Gmac together if it doesn’t make sense, I unfortunately don’t really think I understand the simulator. I’d post a pic here if I could. But ya perhaps just using the 1500 watt Gmac alone is better for hills than the direct drive crystalyte

amberwolf said:
Do you have a celphone or tablet? Almost certainly you can use one of the various free apps that measures slope/etc. Some can even do this over a route (Strava?) to map out your actual real grades on your specific paths.

When you know those, you can then go to Grin Tech's trip simulator and see what your actual system(s) could do on those routes.

The other thing you could do is try reducing the weight of your setup. Sometimes this is tough to do, and you may only be able to shave a few pounds off. If you remove 5 pounds of a 500pound setup, you saved 1 percent of the weight, and taht should mean saving 1 percent of the power usage to go up a hill. 10 pounds, 2%. 100lbs, 20%.

Adding more weight in the form of more motors, which probably arent' going to be able to run in their efficient speed zones if it's a steep hill, and thus will waste a lot of power as heat, is not necessarily the right route to go.

But before you can figure out what you need to change, you have to know what you are facing. Measure the route first. :)

Unfortunatley no one can do that for you remotely; you have to ride it and test it.

Hey thanks so much amberwolf!
Yes, I will try to get details on this hill, and try to understand motor simulator..I wanted to post what I found on simulator but couldn’t figure out how to post photos to confirm if I’m understanding properly what I’m seeing on the graph..and I see you have a place for monetary contribution, happy to thanks so much, felt a little in over my head
And appreciate a guiding hand.

The GMAC is a good front motor for 2WD. Nothing wrong with the weight and cost of 2WD, it all depends on what you're trying to do and your budget.

I also like the redundancy of two motors, if one fries.

I'm afraid that for a cargo trailer and steep hills you may be best served by a mid drive, like the BBSHD, and in combination with the front GMAC.

The 1500W rear hub can be put on a different bike, or sold if your second cargo version works out...

I'm guessing around 6.5%, based on 100ft rise and 0.3 mile run. That's the same as the street I take from the bottom of the hill to my house. That would be more realistic and probably achievable.

York Mills.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
The GMAC is a good front motor for 2WD. Nothing wrong with the weight and cost of 2WD, it all depends on what you're trying to do and your budget.

I also like the redundancy of two motors, if one fries.

I'm afraid that for a cargo trailer and steep hills you may be best served by a mid drive, like the BBSHD, and in combination with the front GMAC.

The 1500W rear hub can be put on a different bike, or sold if your second cargo version works out...

Hey spinning magnets thanks! I do have a 1500 W ezee motor which i believe freewheels?, that since I only realllly want the extra push up the hills mostly. perhaps i should use that and set it up seperately and only turn it on and simply throttle while my other motor uses PAS up the hill a bit more quickly. I had thought the GMac freewheels, was mistaken..but maybe it can go on my Terra rover that now has the eZee and just do a switch aroo..otherwise from my understanding of the Grin motor simulator atleast (which if anyone is willing to screen share and teach me how to read that simulator better id be happy to pay your time) it seems a lot of electric juice is taken if i ride with my gmac and crystalyte together...and ya im happy with 30km/h avg on flat ground. no need to go faster there, just want the help up hills.

Might be a bit out there but if you are needing to haul 500+ lbs up steep hills perhaps something like this is better suited?

geminusbikes.com

The pedals being disconnected from the drive feels a bit odd at first but after a few minutes you don't really notice.

helno said:
Might be a bit out there but if you are needing to haul 500+ lbs up steep hills perhaps something like this is better suited?

geminusbikes.com

The pedals being disconnected from the drive feels a bit odd at first but after a few minutes you don't really notice.

Hey thanks for the recommendation I want to try and use what I have, Im just little hung up on not being able to feel confident i understand the GRin motor simulator. I rode 60 km yesterday fixing bikes, and realized/remembered. that of the 2/3 52V 16ah batteries, sometimes like yesterday i go a whole day only using one battery that i just charge at every persons home...and one battery just sits there. so i might as well be using two motors, be able to move a little quicker and have more help up the hills even if its isn't the most efficient thing.

I have an ezee motor in a 20" wheel presently, just wondering if its worth it to build it into a 7oo, as IF for whatever reason something failed...atleast the ezee motor freewheels. the ezee motor i believe only works with the ezee controller though? so i wouldnt be able to have two phaserunners and balance both motors out perhaps as much as would be best. id have to go off what the ezee motor does and tune the crystalyte to that...i think..

this is why id love to pay someone with exp to guide my thinking..i just don't know enough but wish to find the solution asap for my working season which is beginning now..

I would prefer you receive your help and information for free on the forum.

If i had time, i would offer you consulting at a rate of $35/hr over google conferencing, but i don't.

ebikeschool ( http://www.ebikeschool.com/ ) may be a better starter resource than the sphere.

neptronix said:
I would prefer you receive your help and information for free on the forum.

If i had time, i would offer you consulting at a rate of $35/hr over google conferencing, but i don't.

ebikeschool ( http://www.ebikeschool.com/ ) may be a better starter resource than the sphere.

Ya I believe I’m learning enough so that I can be better at explaining and asking my questions in a way that gets me where I’m going. Just my first time really diving into this stuff and how to go about looking for help. Ya I’d be happy to pay consultation. To look over Ca settings etc with someone. But ya I will get better at communication. So thankful!

Back