Looking for help with my project! $$$

stevetedesco

100 µW
Trying to run two 48v 800w hub motors on a four wheel scooter using twist throttle and separate controllers. What size battery would I need to get good run time? Need help with wire diagram too!!!
thank you
steve

Like to find someone that can help me with a project. $$$
Its a four wheel scooter.
Have 2- 800 watt 48v hub motors.
Have 2- controllers sold with motors.
Have twist throttle.
Need help picking either an e battery in case or build cell pack.
What size battery would I need to get good run time?
10-20 mph ok
Should I have bought lower watt motor?
thx
Steve

You should have gotten a wire diagram with the controllers you purchased.
Size of battery in terms of voltage, amp-hour and amps depends on your controllers voltage rating and be sure your battery amps are less then the controllers amps, and ah is just how far you can ride. Power is voltage x amps = watts, so if you have to little watts you wont have lots of power to get up a hill. 36Vx10A = 360W which is quite wimpy but 36V x 40A = 1440W which is lots of power to get up hills. 36V is slower speed compared to 48V.

stevetedesco said:
Trying to run two 48v 800w hub motors on a four wheel scooter using twist throttle and separate controllers. What size battery would I need to get good run time? Need help with wire diagram too!!!
thank you
steve

Markz
Thank you for your response. Unfortunetly like reading chinese to me!
Way over my head. I asked for a diagram but got photos of wire mess!
What should I look for on controller?
If I start with the two hub wheels I can buy controllers here in US maybe.
What size battery should I be looking for?
Do you know good places to buy?
Is there something off wheels that would help you tell me where to start?
Thanks
Steve

What does "good run time" mean to you? 1hr, 2hrs, 8hrs? Where will you be running it (on/off road, mud, hills, snow, etc.)? Also how much load (single person? multiple people? how much does the scooter weigh)?

For the wiring, there are probably others who can help better than me, but you could start by uploading the "photos of wire mess" that you received to see if we can help interpret them. Also links to what you have would also be helpful. The more details you provide, the better help people can provide.

Hi
I am using 2x 48v 800watt hub motors wheels. 10" fat nuematic.
Also two 30amp controllers came with wheels.
Scooter is 100lbs.
Like it to be able to carry a 275lb rider around 25 mph. 2-4 hrs.
Wondering what amp hour battery pack to buy. Some say 1000w on them. What does that say. Does that mean I need one that is 1600w?
Thx again Steve

stevetedesco said:
Like it to be able to carry a 275lb rider around 25 mph. 2-4 hrs.
Wondering what amp hour battery pack to buy.

Without more information to go on...

My calculations give an estimate of 864W to maintain a steady 25 mph on your scooter-- flat ground, no wind. 4 hours * 64 watts = 3456 watt-hours. Divide by 48V, you get 72 amp-hours. That's a lot. You'll be lucky to get a battery weighing less than 50 pounds that has that much capacity. (And then your scooter will be heavier, and will need more power to maintain 25mph.) On the other hand, a battery that big should not have any problem providing enough power for both motors.

Hi Thanks!
What else would help? Did you see other posts listing everything?
There is another type scooter with a 3000w hub motor and they use a 9.4 ah battery. Saying goes 2-4 hrs 16-20mph.
Not sure why such a difference.
Trying to fit in a 6" x 14" x 3" space.

Steve

stevetedesco said:
There is another type scooter with a 3000w hub motor and they use a 9.4 ah battery. Saying goes 2-4 hrs 16-20mph.
Not sure why such a difference.

Easy! They're lying.

Also, holding a steady 25 mph takes about 2-1/2 times as much energy per mile as holding a steady 16 mph.

In real life, you don't get to go 25 mph uninterrupted until you're out of battery. On one hand, sometimes you have to go slower, which uses less energy per mile. On the other hand, sometimes you have to stop and start, climb hills, and buck winds-- which use up more energy per mile.

Trying to fit in a 6" x 14" x 3" space.

You can probably fit in 13S9P of 18650 cells (not my favorite format, but a good combination for both high energy density and filling a restricted space).

If you use a high density, medium power cell like Panasonic GA, you can cram in a little over 30 Ah into the available space. That's about all you get if that's all the space you have for it. It's more or less 1.5 kWh of energy, so maybe an hour and a half of 25mph flat ground cruising (accounting for efficiency losses), if you don't have to stop.

Back