Uk based battery builder?

paulstung

100 W
I'm in the process of selecting parts for a winter project, and I'm going to be needing a 72v 40ah battery capable of around 100Amps. I will probably be sourcing the cells (molicel or Samsung) and the relevant bms, I'm still doing my homework before I decide. So it will be just building the pack and supplying the nickel, wires for charge and discharge and appropriate connectors. Like said I'm still in the planning stage I'm just throwing it out there to have 1 of my basses covered. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm UK based South Wales np26

Hi Paul,

I'm from South West Wales (Pembrokeshire) and I am looking for a uk based battery builder as well. Did you find anyone in the end?

Thanks

paulstung said:
I'm in the process of selecting parts for a winter project, and I'm going to be needing a 72v 40ah battery capable of around 100Amps. I will probably be sourcing the cells (molicel or Samsung) and the relevant bms, I'm still doing my homework before I decide. So it will be just building the pack and supplying the nickel, wires for charge and discharge and appropriate connectors. Like said I'm still in the planning stage I'm just throwing it out there to have 1 of my basses covered. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm UK based South Wales np26

Not used them - but they are UK based: https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

I have Jimmy from the above mentioned ebikebatteries.co.uk building me a battery now fory cyc motor. Seems very knowledgeable and everyone there is a pleasure to deal with. I doubt he would allow you to supply your own cells though, I wouldn't if I were a battery builder.

I have Jimmy from the above mentioned ebikebatteries.co.uk building me a battery now fory cyc motor. Seems very knowledgeable and everyone there is a pleasure to deal with. I doubt he would allow you to supply your own cells though, I wouldn't if I were a battery builder.
Why not? If someone wants to use their own cells and are adamant about what goes in the pack -- then God bless. Every builder gets to set their terms, but I don't understand the rub in regards to someone wanting you to build with their materials.

Because he is a business not just someone building battery's for people in the back room.

If I had a business building batteries I would not offer a warranty on a battery made up with cells I didn't source myself. If it goes boom and causes a fire who would be blamed? How would insurance handle it?

If I were a commercial pack builder, I wouldn't even want to risk having individuals ship me their cells, as they probably wouldn't use the proper shipping methods (given the posts I've seen over the years about people's attitudes towards that), making me at least ethically/morally responsible for anything that happened to the transporters along the way because of them, and I wouldn't know enough about their cells to trust having them on my property and be my responsibility.

Just too much risk due to unknowable factors.

(which is why I wouldn't become a pack builder, either, except for myself--too much liability for things I have too little control over).

Back