Axle conversion from QR to Thru axle Front wheel

fladam

1 mW
Hi there,

I recently ordered new forks, and they require the Thru axle set up. I didn't notice this until after the order was processed. After some research I realised that the thru axle is a superior arrangement for bikes so I looked into how to change the axle on my front wheel. I can't seem to remove the axle on my hub. Please could you tell me if it's possible to convert a quick release axle to a thru axle on this style of hub (see photo). Or do I need a new wheel? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
Axle.jpg

At the least you would need a replacement hub axle installed ( wheel and motor strip and rebuild !)
Unless you are very competant or know a good/cheap Ebike mechanic,... it will be much simpler and cheaper to sell the fork and buy a QR version.

EDIT ..... :oops: sorry i misinterpreted your words and assumed you had a hub motor....wrong on my part !
So yes, you could either get a TA hub laced into your wheel, or a complete new wheel and hub .
...but it may still be cheaper to sell/buy the correct fork for your existing wheel.
There is a lot of (sales ?) hype over the benefits of TA hubs...most of which the average rider will not notice.

You can't convert a QR hub to a thru axle hub. There are adapters for converting a thru axle hub to QR though and some hubs like the Grin All Axle are designed to support both types of axles. You would have to lace a new hub into the wheel or just buy a new wheel with a through axle hub.

Back