Recommendation for triple chromed fork for 26" bicycle

Diddler

1 W
Located just a frame of Micargi Bronco 3.0 to build my ebike. I'm a novice, thus inexperienced. Would like recommendations for a reliable triple chromed fork for a 26" bike. All riding will be on level surface, however speeds of 30 mph. Thanks for your recommendations, vendor, etc. Mostly desire your seasoned experience rather than ordering off ebay. Thanks.

Those are all strong because of their basic design, but almost all are made from weak steel and aluminum. Some of them are weakened by being made especially long for chopper bikes. The pedicab shop I work with replaced all the legs of their triple clamp forks with legs specially manufactured from thicker-walled seamless chromoly steel.

I suppose I'd trust the ones sold by Main Street Pedicabs over the usual lowrider and chopper stuff, because they are time-tested in a heavy duty application. Still, I have seen a whole bunch of those bent beyond repair.

Use the threadless kind, with a corresponding threadless headset and stem. Use only as much extension of the fork as you need to clear the tire.

Note that many forks of this type are made with 135mm width, as opposed to 100mm width for typical forks. If you use the wide kind, you can put a rear hub motor in the front. But in any case, get the kind that works with the front wheel you want to use.

Chalo, thanks for your recommendation of Main Street Pedicabs as a worthy source for a chromed triple fork. I searched; as you might know they system is down, thus I'm rather anxious for a product. Accordingly, asking whether you know of another reliable source to locate a trust worthy chromed triple fork? Thank you sir.

Find out what size head tube your frame has. The inside diameter, where the bearing cups fit, dictates which fork you need. 34mm bore is for a 1-1/8" steer tube; 32.7mm, 30.2, or 30.0mm are all for a 1" steer tube. In turn, these things will determine which headset and handlebar stem you get to use.

Chalo, grateful you shared that Micargi Bronco bikes not fitted for disc brakes on rear. Had not noticed, thus illustrates my 'novice' venture into these complexities. Some where thought I'd seen an extension fitting one could add on to the drop out rear section; this extension formatted with holes for disc brakes. Have no clue where I saw that; if you happen to know or have a recommendation where to search, would appreciate it. Thank you sir,

D, I procured a part like that from ebay or Amazon, but it was so flimsy I ended up employing a caliper brake which was weak, but probably better than the converted disc would have been. Perhaps there is a sturdier version hich I couldn't locate.

2old said:
D, I procured a part like that from ebay or Amazon, but it was so flimsy I ended up employing a caliper brake which was weak, but probably better than the converted disc would have been. Perhaps there is a sturdier version hich I couldn't locate.

I sent the OP a private message with this part I found that looked promising. It was in stock when I sent the link, but the page says it's sold out now.

https://www.bikeberry.com/products/bbr-tuning-billet-aluminium-disc-brake-caliper-bracket
img_8671_600x.jpg

I pointed out that it would require some modification to fit a hub motor axle.

Chalo, thanks. Hadn't seen this, but good reviews on their site. Are you surprised that it's sturdy enough for discs since it's held on by the QR?

2old said:
Chalo, thanks. Hadn't seen this, but good reviews on their site. Are you surprised that it's sturdy enough for discs since it's held on by the QR?

It's held in place by being sandwiched between the axle locknut and the dropout, with a key in the dropout slot to resist rotation. The QR or axle nut is just the fastener. It should be as secure as the wheel, since it's attached the same way.

I haven't tried one, so if there's some problem with it, I don't know what it is.

Micargi Bronco bikes

If you pick a model that is multi-speed then it can have disk brakes. The only two I am aware of, besides their pre-made ebike, is the "Slugo SS 7sp" and "Seatle SS 7sp".

I don't know how nice they are. Never owned a Micargi. Thought about it a couple times. The stretched look can be pretty cool.

The Bronco is a stretched semi-recumbent bike, not very much like traditional cruiser bikes except in superficial style cues.

BroncoRd1_1200x1200.jpg

Yeah the Seatle SS 7sp is very similar, but with disk brakes and derailleur. I was looking at recumbents before and the large tires on these bikes are very appealing. I like large tires for their comfort.

Not sure how I feel about having to be stretched out in a half-superman pose, though.

Take a look ar ruff Cycles. They may have a style that appeals to you.

Back