Is this part of my headset?

HK12K

100 kW
Swapping out my fork and the headset came apart when I pulled the fork from the headtube. I assume the black ring still attached to the steerer tube is part of the headset, but wanted confirmation before I spend too much time trying to remove it as it seems fairly well stuck on there. Also any advice on how to get it off would be appreciated because I've had no luck thus far.

Attachments

• PXL_20210606_211901747.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210606_211901747.MP.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 446
at the bike shop we use "slide hammer" to remove the headset "crown race".. without that try hammer and punch, go around the bearing race with screwdriver or chisel to get a small gap.. then tap it off careful.. also consider getting a new headset since you have it apart anyways..

That is the crown race of the headset. It's tightly driven over a step machined on the steer tube. With that fork shape, you should probably gently pry it off with a small flat bladed screwdriver, working your way around the perimeter a little at a time.

If you look at the profile of the steerer tube, you can see you only need to move it about 3/16" or so to get it past the shoulder.

Br_aheadset.png

I ended up hitting it with a heat gun, managed to get the blade of a tiny screwdriver into the gap then gave it a whack and it popped free. :thumb:

FME, headsets can be cleaned, greased and reused as long as the bearings and races aren't scored. The only incidence of failure in many years of cycling was with a headset with needle bearings that became pulverized, AIR.

That's exactly what I did actually. It's a Cane Creek unit that's been smooth as butter thus far. Don't plan on changing it unless it becomes necessary.

Back