Chrome front wheel

Diddler

1 W
Any recommendations from whom to purchase quality front wheel 26" x 3, along with tire that 2.125. Wish to purchase from a reliable vendor in USA rather than ebay. Thanks for sharing what's worked for you.

I just got a QS 205 in 17" chrome, 4t. Customers bike. Fit a Mitchell Pilot Sport 2. Lemme find a pic.

It was 899 and took 9 days to ship.

Yes Dr Moser makes nice rim combos. He uses Akront ( Spanish) rims. Aluminum under chrome is a common old thing. Good dude.

Picture.

10 gauge spokes, 20x110mm ax, 220mm rotor, street tire. About 1020$ shipped.

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_115110_01.jpg
    IMG_20210628_115110_01.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 483
My recommendation is don't use chrome wheels. Chrome steel wheels are pig heavy for bicycle use (or weak and lumpy, or both). Chromed aluminum never lasts long before corrosion creeps underneath the surface plating and makes it slough off like a disease.

Polished aluminum looks nice and ages much more gracefully.

Here's a chromed aluminum BMX rim doing what it do:
s1600_10F880C1_5985_4E79_94DF_C381AE0002D8.jpg

Chalo said:
Here's a chromed aluminum BMX rim doing what it do:
s1600_10F880C1_5985_4E79_94DF_C381AE0002D8.jpg

That is crazy. Poor quality.

Heres a rim that has " been in the shed for 20 years". 40 year old rim. From a '70s moped.

Lol. Akront. Good rims. For sure. No flakes here. 100+ can be found on eBay in a myriad of conditions, but no flakes.

But not a bicycle rim. I have a bike in the garage with chromes wheels ( well, two I guess). It is twenty year old chrome. On aluminum, small pitting but nothing flaking or bad. Chroming aluminum rims is very very very common and hardy on alot of motorcycles. There is good chrome, there is bad chrome, we all know that.

Just about every bike out there has had its wheels custom chromed, or come in chrome, aluminum and steel alike. I wonder why bicycle rims like to do that ":flakey" stuff.

I like my chrome. It sparkles.. esp stainless spokes and chrome rims in the sun. Lol. 'Ballin. Sparkle like they are moving even when they ar e not.

36 hole, looks to be a 2.15" or a 2.5". Its a nice combo with a 1.85 on the front of a bike. Classic combo (staggered widths). Chromed for decades. This Spanish Akront chrome is older than me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203508168104?hash=item2f620835a8:g:AgoAAOSwLeNg0Mn4

Attachments

• Akront.jpg
    Akront.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 422
Oh yeah I HATE polished aluminum. Teh bike i mentioned before, the chrome wheeled Ninja in my garage, came with a poorly polished frame when I got it. Shiny big mirrors and alotta bad paint.

I tore that jazz down, every nut and bolt ( had to fix the engine too, blown up) and sandblasted every bit of shady dull "polished" aluminum off for a regular texture, and left it raw to oxidize a hard layer on top. For "polished aluminum" to work you have to keep it waxxed or it looses its shine.

Rebuilt the bike, put her on the road for a whole bunch of miles. Worked well. I even soda blasted the can.

Yes the chrome shows its age. One thing you cannot really do.. FIX bad chrome. You can try rubbing aluminum foil over it.. you can try this polish, that wax, but yea once the go they are gone.

I do want to know of a GOOD QUALITY, OEM CHROMED, MTB fatbike rim. 36 hole and fat bike style. Do you ahve to custom chrome it, like those crazy bike guys? Is there a GGOOD one to buy>

Chalo.. I have never heard of a "ZERO" branded rim... Is that a good manufacturer? Is that low, middle, or high end bicycle? I do not fundamentally agree, fully with the notion of "Chromed aluminum never lasts long before corrosion creeps underneath the surface plating and makes it slough off like a disease. " You see the Akront I showed above, and yes that is not a MTB rim. I understand we are looking for bicycle rims.

I do NOT have much experience buying bicycle things. I would buy a chrome bicycle rim thinking it was hardy without knowing the differences. Thats some pretty bad chrome. I would be pissed if I spent any decent money on that.

Too much bling attracts to many eyes of various net worths. Maybe go look at the thread entitled "Bicycle Locks" to secure yours.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73600&start=125

DogDipstick said:
Chalo.. I have never heard of a "ZERO" branded rim... Is that a good manufacturer? Is that low, middle, or high end bicycle?

I don't know Zero rims. I do have chrome Araya and Velocity rims, some of the highest quality bicycle rims ever made, that have blistered chrome on them. The ones that have hung unused in my shed for 20+ years are fine, but the ones that got out and worked have problems.

Would be interested if you have a 26" fat, front wheel, disc brake compatible and prefer 12 gauge spokes, but will consider others.

thanks,
Diddler

Back