Pivot rusted

nalu808

1 W
My pivot bushing is rusted stuck. I tried to remove and striped the hex key insert. Frame is aluminum. Any suggestions to removing it?

Attachments

• 16250258262078538012513078612675.jpg
    16250258262078538012513078612675.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 373
Hello first thing I'd try is wire brush it lots (id use a rotory one on drill ones that look like round paint brush not disc shaped) dont worry about paint this can be touched up later ,does it screw in to the aluminium on other side or just a bolt? If its a bolt you got lucky as easy last resort just cut it off , firstly try soak in penetrating oil over night use a large bladed screwdriver or punch to tap it with a hammer use a tool that doesn't interfere with already rounded bolt just touches edges you want shock it try break corrosion so it can turn try again with new hex on a socket, i suggest buying one of those cheap 1/4 inch ratchet sets with variety of bits included as may end up sacrificing a few bits,they need to be sockets so you can use a hammer on them, if this not work select a torqs bit from the set the star shaped ones you want one that is bit too tight go in ,place it on the hex of the bolt so splines line up with what remains of hex corners hit it in with hammer aim is that It bites/ cuts into metal a bit ( chooseing right size bit important here and helps cut in if new)keep going till it in as far as can go without falling out, (if you really want get scientific and don't care about paint could apply little bit of heat to aluminium now with blow torch but slowly pouring a boiled kettle this also removes oil from where you trying get purchase), if socket is in tight enough stay in by itself not fallout then probably good to try and give it a turn , let me know how you get on , if above not work there are slightly more destructive methods to try next, good luck :mrgreen:

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Will try hot water, not sure if I want heat on the aluminum from a torch. I did spray it with PB blaster and let it sit over night before I striped the head. Wont get a it for awhile got family visiting from Texas.

Back