Does this seem legit?

Motoman65

1 mW
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272398792132

Is anyone familar with this motor and the claim that it can go 40mph with a 48v battery?

The appeal to me is its light weight and the presumption I could probably throw it on a regular mtb frame without worrying about overly wide dropouts, but speed is most important to me. It says it performs like 3000w but again, all I have is the sellers claims, and a video of them hitting that speed downhill as a top-speed which doesn't seem like a real 40mph bike.

If I can run 52 or 72v through this and get 40+ sustained with the really light weight it will suit my needs fine, but this seems nebulous right now.

I'm not very familiar with hub motors but a mid drive with half the power can hit low to mid 30s on a mountain bike. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for this to hit ~40 with skinny tires. And speaking of tires note this wheel says it's for "700x28" tires. So you'll need a 29er frame if you want this to fit on a mtb.

Also if you believe the CC speeds, it's definitely hitting 40. The cars seem to be going about that speed. This part of the video is uphill and it's showing high 30s...https://youtu.be/4jGRhP1UEgQ?t=436

ZeroEm said:
here is his website and like to the kit. https://calibike.com/product/48v-800w-gear-motor-full-ebike-kit-4-5kg/

If you notice to hit 40 need a 52v battery not included. bet that is peak. Looks like a geared hub as small as it is. Size of the motor gives an idea of how much heat it can take. buyer be ware. Just not enough information on it.

Is a geared hub a problem for what I want out of it? I would be commuting regularly, nothing too intense and primarily 25mph speed.

I don't know of anyone who rides at 40 mph with a geared hub, think it is because they might over heat. I don't know anything about that motor.

Just that it might hit 40 mph but may not be continuous. calibike shows its a 2500w motor but you would need a 50a controller to power it with a 52v battery. The controller does burst of 1800w, not a 50a controller. More like a 35a

Just the math does not add up. I was playing with grins motor simulator and none of the small DD or geared hubs do 40 mph in a 29" wheel, 35mph yes.

I don't like when they put a watt rating on a motor. what you want to know is how many watts can you shove into it continuously with out melting down. Watts do not equal speed either. Volts do and you need at least 60v to ride at 40 mph. They might be talking about 40 kph now that is doable.

It comes in 700c and the 2nd option is 26 inches, but to me it does look small for what it claims...I was hoping someone else had experience with it on here.

Isn't their claim to sell more batteries than anyone else on ebay. Oh yeah! How about UPP?

So noone has bought this and can review it?! Sheesh...I'm not in the business of gambling away 700$...

Thats why you step up and buy from reputable, known sellers whether that be ebay or ali's
But yeah its good to find out if anyone has purchased from what your looking at.

Motoman65 said:
So noone has bought this and can review it?! Sheesh...I'm not in the business of gambling away 700$...

Alright, my next line of questioning would be...Let's say I chalk this up to being some sorta scam, is there a way I could achieve a stealth 40mph using dual 1500w-2000w motors and then spend the most on a battery?! There's just so much I don't know and i'm not actually interested in spending money to experiment when there are clearly people here who have done that for me.

Motoman65 what you are running into is the speed issue not power. When you want more speed you go with lower winding count or more volts.. As Manbeer stated 72 Volts. If you read on here much everyone is always wanting a lower T motor, that's for one thing - speed. Most do not want a 72v batter.

Most of us test with Grin's motor simulator to see what a combination of motor, wheel size, controller and battery has a chance in doing.

https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=GMAC8T&batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&wheel=29i&axis=mph

I did a basic set up with an 8T GMAC on 72V. You can change the battery and watch the speed drop.

by Motoman65 » Jul 14 2021 3:03pm

Alright, my next line of questioning would be...Let's say I chalk this up to being some sorta scam, is there a way I could achieve a stealth 40mph using dual 1500w-2000w motors and then spend the most on a battery?! There's just so much I don't know and i'm not actually interested in spending money to experiment when there are clearly people here who have done that for me.

I would not call it a scam. I'm sure the motor can do 40mph, just not with that kit. Best to ask and check it out be fore buying.

If you figure out a list of your wants i'm sure someone here has built it. But don't want a rocket ship for $5.

Stealth is good, dual is good but dual stealth is harder. Dual motors and/or speed cost money and is not stealthy. Its not that two small dual motors are hard to hide. You need two controls twice the wiring and batteries all of that is hard to hide.

Do you want cheap, stealth, fast and/or dual fast. Figure out what you want then see if it cost to much then go from there.

The problem with fast is the power needed and the heat from that power. While the motor they are selling may do 40mph it would start getting hot then melt at that speed. Read about the different E-bikes here. They range from fast, powerful, stealthy, long range, road, trail, beach and race.

You will find different groups, some want speed with no peddling and other like me want pas for several hours.

ZeroEm said:
Motoman65 what you are running into is the speed issue not power. When you want more speed you go with lower winding count or more volts.. As Manbeer stated 72 Volts. If you read on here much everyone is always wanting a lower T motor, that's for one thing - speed. Most do not want a 72v batter.

Most of us test with Grin's motor simulator to see what a combination of motor, wheel size, controller and battery has a chance in doing.

https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=GMAC8T&batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&wheel=29i&axis=mph

I did a basic set up with an 8T GMAC on 72V. You can change the battery and watch the speed drop.

That simulation is fine, also I am 125 pounds (or less), how much total weight would that be in this setup with a steel frame? I was asking about dual motors because I figure that powering them both at 72v would give me a similar speed while dividing the total heat generated, but again I have only been reading the forum, I don't know if that would be what happens in practice.

ZeroEm said:
by Motoman65 » Jul 14 2021 3:03pm

I would not call it a scam. I'm sure the motor can do 40mph, just not with that kit. Best to ask and check it out be fore buying.

If you figure out a list of your wants i'm sure someone here has built it. But don't want a rocket ship for $5.

Stealth is good, dual is good but dual stealth is harder. Dual motors and/or speed cost money and is not stealthy. Its not that two small dual motors are hard to hide. You need two controls twice the wiring and batteries all of that is hard to hide.

Do you want cheap, stealth, fast and/or dual fast. Figure out what you want then see if it cost to much then go from there.

The problem with fast is the power needed and the heat from that power. While the motor they are selling may do 40mph it would start getting hot then melt at that speed. Read about the different E-bikes here. They range from fast, powerful, stealthy, long range, road, trail, beach and race.

You will find different groups, some want speed with no peddling and other like me want pas for several hours.

So here's what I'd want: Steel frame, full suspension, don't care about wheel size unless it affects speed, and 40+ burst ability, because I'd never be going above about 30 in city streets for more than a little while,(If I need to I want to be able to zip though) when I say stealth, I don't really mean I am avoiding technical looking stuff, I mean I don't want an EEB frame that will attract cop attention because it looks like a motorcycle. So ultimately I will need to figure out how to hold a 72v battery on a non-suitcase frame...Far as distance, 20+ miles at 20mph should meet most of my needs. Far as cost, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it,as far as what is realistic for what i'd want, but I'm at least aware that the battery will be around 1000$ most likely, other than that, I'm really not sure what range I should be in but if I can stay under 2k that'd be wonderful.

I dream of AWD, started out going to build one like https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98286. I wanted to much battery and can not ride an upright bike very far anymore.

Here is the latest 2wd e-bike that is being finished. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=112473 from a member.

I did a quick setup in Grin's motor simulator for something that would come close to what you want. https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.h...rue&autothrot_b=true&throt=48.6&throt_b=48.6

I have not built a 2WD, one of them links would be better off to guide you. Two motors can go faster with less heat. Most here just do one big motor but not very stealthy.

Also, FME, a steel full suspension frame will be either custom (Waltworks), "moto-like" or bso. Any of the good FS frames manufactured lately are aluminum or Ti.

Back