e-scooter stability

bobwalton

1 µW
E-scooter safety is on everyone’s mind. A recent OECD international transport forum concluded that e-scooters were no less safe than bicycles, but recommended manufacturers improve their stability by design. Scooters have a small wheel base and small wheels, so they’re small - which is why everyone likes them. But the diminutive dimensions can make them less stable as the speed picks up.
I designed a steering system that seriously improves stability. Some people use suspension, which is great, but it introduces new problems like cost and complexity, and can create ‘dive’ when you brake. And it doesn’t solve the instability problem. The design in the video is more simple. The faster you go, the more it helps. Its hard to demonstrate the advantage without trying one. But probably the best way to show what I mean is to point out that nearly everyone riding a normal e-scooter keeps both hands on the handlebars. That’s because they’re not that stable! This one is easily ridden one handed.

https://youtu.be/oprWwrEmjmI

I'd love to hear what you think.

Attachments

• DSC00994.JPG
    DSC00994.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 380
I've had several scooters and have ridden hundreds of miles on them. There is a learning curve for the handling for sure.
Your design is interesting. Actually riding it would be the real test. What you have is a lot of "trail" in the steering, which improves stability. I ended up modifying a couple of my scooters to increase the amount of trail and had good results. My test is to see if I can ride with only one hand on the bars. An unstable design is nearly impossible to ride one handed.

The forward tilted steer tube angle is unique. I haven't seen anything like that and it seems like it works very well in the video. There may be some better ways to implement it, but it sure seems to do the job.

I made an in-line skateboard that used the same steering geometry. (actually quite a few)

https://youtu.be/5MQ7qDzfENo

I think that design of skateboard demonstrates the principle. It uses a combination of sort of negative rake angle and maybe an inch of trail. If I used a conventional rake angle, like every other bike and scooter I've ever seen, it wouldn't work. The negative trail makes that much difference.

It steers the way it leans, but its always nice to have handlebars too!

Back