Adding an additional rack battery to a full suspension ebike

fladam

1 mW
Hi, I was curious about adding an additional battery to my folding bike. I bought a cheap chinese folding bike last year (Samebike LO26) which came with a 48V 10ah battery inside the L shaped frame. The motor was originally a 500w hub type.

I decided I wanted more power for hill climbs, so changed to a Bafang mid drive BBSHD, as a result the battery didn't last more than a few miles, particularly on pedal assist 9 or full throttle. Due to the 1000w motor. After researching getting a more substantial battery I could only find a battery to fit the folding frame which was a 48v 14ah. I bought it from Aliexpress, and this did increase the range, but not enough to make any reasonable length journeys.

I was thinking of adding an additional battery somewhere on the bike. Due to the folding L shape frame there aren't any obvious locations to mount a second battery other than on a rear rack. The bike is full suspension so I was wondering if there were rear battery racks available for a full suspension bike?

Any other solutions to increasing range is very welcome.

Attachments

• Samebike pic.jpg
    Samebike pic.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 528
Options are many, but depend on how much battery you wish to add, and how awful-looking bike you are willing to accept.

seatpost rack
$_10.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
front-fork rack
s-l500.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
handlebar bag
w

top tube bag
w

These are just for inspiration, all of them will have pros and cons. Mostly i would be afraid of putting too much weight on them, maybe dividing the battery into several smaller sub-packs could work?

I don't want a rack that attaches to the seat post, I was planning to install a dropper post to make getting on and off the bike easier, due to its one size fits all.

The Topeak R2 rack looks great although I'm not sure how good it will be holding a battery via their patented mounting technology. Unlesss the battery lives inside the topeak bag.

The other rack is on a Frey commuter mountain bike, and I haven't seen the specific racks for sale, but again it would require the battery to live in a bag.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I was inspired by the top frame bag.

Attachments

• frey rack.jpg
    frey rack.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 495
  • topeak rack.jpg
    topeak rack.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 495
Back