What tool do I need for this?

HK12K

100 kW
My swingarm has been loosening itself lately requiring me to re-torque it frequently. I don't have an appropriate tool to do so, so I've been using the frame from an Olfa knife which is able to grab two of the teeth and that has allowed me to re-seat it. This is obviously not an ideal long term solution. Wondering what specific tool is required, before I add loctite. Looks like it would be similar to a freewheel removal tool, but larger.

Attachments

• PXL_20210731_155354760.jpg
    PXL_20210731_155354760.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 668
  • PXL_20210731_163537721.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210731_163537721.MP.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 654
Not yet, I wanted to be able to apply an appropriate amount of torque to it before adding any thread sealant. The olfa doesn't really have enough bite to get it as tight as I suspect it should be.

RunForTheHills said:
It does look like a freewheel tool might work. Have you tried one to see if it would fit?

I ordered one thinking it would but it hasn't been delivered yet. After looking at the dimensions on the listing yesterday I began to think it was going to be too small. Now that I put a tape measure to the bike a few moments ago it may just be the correct size after all. We shall see.

Attachments

• 51FmiRzvfCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51FmiRzvfCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 645
HK12K said:
I ordered one thinking it would but it hasn't been delivered yet. After looking at the dimensions on the listing yesterday I began to think it was going to be too small. Now that I put a tape measure to the bike a few moments ago it may just be the correct size after all. We shall see.

The tool is cheap and worth having around even if it doesn't fit.

RunForTheHills said:
HK12K said:

The tool is cheap and worth having around even if it doesn't fit.
My thoughts exactly. For $4 it's good to have either way. Especially since I will eventually be trying out various freewheels to see which configuration I like best for this application.

HK12K said:
My thoughts exactly. For $4 it's good to have either way. Especially since I will eventually be trying out various freewheels to see which configuration I like best for this application.

Well, you don't have to guess about the gears. If you know your cadence (I am a spinner, not a masher, and mine is normally around 90 rpm) and target speed, you can use a gear calculator like this one.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

The freewheel removal tool arrived and it's a perfect fit. :thumb:

Back