Tandem into Mid-racer

ZeroEm

1 MW
Trying to narrow down my next project.

Wanting wish list:

long recumbent bike (mid racer type). reclined like high/low racer type.
Should survive 350lbs/159kg plus.
Pedals/BB height should be level between my hips and heart, not below.
Big front wheel 26"-29".

I read about a member turning his old tandem into a recumbent. Thought this is a great idea! Designed to carry two people, long frame, big front wheel and room to put pedals where I want them.

Have been looking for a tandem to transform. This is the first one that has me excited.
KENT Northwoods
https://www.amazon.com/KENT-Dual-Drive-Tandem-Comfort/dp/B0126UH9L4

Have seen Kent bikes but thought they were on the cheap side so unsure about it. Planning to do a major over haul on any bike that is purchased.

Why I like this bike:
All steal frame, rated at 400lbs.
29" front tire, 20" rear tire (great for my 5T 1500w DD running 72V)
Frame slopes down in the back where seat would go, leaving the front high for the BB to be mounted.
lots of room to mount batteries and balance the weight.

So why is this a bad idea?

Here are the drawbacks I can identify:

The rear dropouts are front opening, probably soft, and without a derailleur hanger. Your torque arm game has to be serious. You'll have to use a hanger claw for your derailleur, which is a little harder than usual to keep straight.

The front wheel that comes with the bike will be junk. Don't expect it to last long or to stay true.

Brakes, derailleurs, shifters, and tires will also be cruddy.

There are no disc tabs on the frame or fork, so you'll have to get creative to provide a rear brake for a 20 inch wheel. Beyond simply adding a disc tab, you may have to add other reinforcement to the area, to keep the tab from bending the tube it's attached to.

That's about it. Seems like a pretty good choice of foundation upon which to build what you're talking about.

I am probably the guy you are thinking of. That tandem was already a top quality recumbent.

I would suggest buying a used recumbent to start with. There is little market for two wheel recumbents these days. Chalo has single handedly destroyed the market for them with his fud. :wink:

Anyway, they are quite cheap second hand, and a much better starting place than this stinker.

by Chalo » Aug 05 2021 12:39pm

Here are the drawbacks I can identify:

The rear dropouts are front opening, probably soft, and without a derailleur hanger. Your torque arm game has to be serious. You'll have to use a hanger claw for your derailleur, which is a little harder than usual to keep straight.

The front wheel that comes with the bike will be junk. Don't expect it to last long or to stay true.

Brakes, derailleurs, shifters, and tires will also be cruddy.

There are no disc tabs on the frame or fork, so you'll have to get creative to provide a rear brake for a 20 inch wheel. Beyond simply adding a disc tab, you may have to add other reinforcement to the area, to keep the tab from bending the tube it's attached to.

That's about it. Seems like a pretty good choice of foundation upon which to build what you're talking about.

Thx Chalo was hoping that you would share your insight.

I need a second bike/trike and a project. Don't plan on using the factory wheels, brakes, seats, handle bars. Will see about shifters, detailers and front forks.

Planning on adding; fiberglass seat, tiller, torque plates.

Have started a couple projects that was not going to work for me, which has left me with most of the parts needed. Looks like I will buy one, rid myself of the other bikes to make room for a new project.

by Warren » Aug 05 2021 6:01pm

I am probably the guy you are thinking of.

I would suggest buying a used recumbent to start with. There is little market for two wheel recumbents these days. Chalo has single handedly destroyed the market for them with his fud. :wink:

Anyway, they are quite cheap second hand, and a much better starting place than this stinker.

Had been searching for where I seen the post. Thx Warren for the inspiration, will blame you if it goes wrong. :lol:

Never seen that kind of bike before, would be hard to turn the bike around in tight spaces even when standing, and turning radius on some sharp curves on pathways I ride, would be challenging. But I hardly see any tandems but they are out there, along with the ones who ride an inch from the ground with the orange flag so you can spot them.

:lol: I never have mentioned how long my arms are. Was lazy when I did the mock up.

Found this bike for $230 with shipping. Hope the frame is strong. I will take about a year to finish, can only work for a short while a day. Still searching for a better frame used or new. None close or what I want.

I saw what Justin did to extend the steering handlebars on his bike, years ago now, regular bicycle, with Xtracycle.
Pay close attention to how he did his steering.

111.png

by markz » Aug 05 2021 10:15pm

I saw what Justin did to extend the steering handlebars on his bike, years ago now, regular bicycle, with Xtracycle.
Pay close attention to how he did his steering.
Kent-northwoods-mod01.jpg

I think your on to something! Maybe not like my drawing but close, it would need to flip forward out of my way.

I think you'll need to put the bottom bracket farther forward than you have it in your mockups. Like forward of the head tube.

Like this:
Kent-northwoods-mod03SM.png

I will get an inseam measurement and do mockups before anything is welded. The more the steering comes up, the more I think about USS. Wanted a tiller but not feasible if its to far.

Just look on the internet. Every recumbent idea you will every have has already been done, many times.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aMKYKtkMjuw/UUDxNLJQSPI/AAAAAAAAFQ8/PLVM43dmVCg/s800/DSC_1409g.jpg

http://www.bikeroute.com/BentImagesFolder/CalfeeBent.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/V8mE-A857WJ1VO5jUuJD-chNyaHPFYMj_aFgbp3Ftl3_oKtP7GIMEP38f66_xyslT8af0z2xIyI7Q16XJjpGBlzVSbfqCFz8YZZHTmsD0x4cENtz

https://rcnpdf.com/No3-fall1990.pdf

Thx Warren. I don't want to recreate the wheel. Would like to copy a good design. Would have like to bought one but it's like Velos, that i'm to tall for. Most recumbents have a low weight limit of 240lbs. My trike it's 260lbs. I can find most of what I want but never all of it, so here I am.

Back