Spoke angle on a RH212 and 700C wheel

zorbas

10 mW
I have juste finished building a 700C wheel with a RH212 hub motor and Sapim e-strong spokes. The way the spoke bends just after the nipple makes me a bit nervous. Is it acceptable to have such small bent? The spoke angle is a bit more than 70 degree so I thought it would be OK. The nipples though are going straight out of the rim (no angle) and therefore there is a tsmall "lever arm" with the rim.
I am worried about the effort on the rim holes and therefore on the strength of the wheel itself.

Do you think it is acceptable/safe?
IMG_4041 2.jpeg
IMG_4042.jpeg

Don't know how strong your rim is. The spoke angel is fine, it looks bad but will hold up. The procedure is to loosen one spoke at at time and put a slight bend in the spoke. Not to close to the nipple. Then retighten the spoke before the next one is done. Keep the spokes tight so not to flex as you ride and it will last.

The hub motor looks like it was setup for paired spokes. If you have issues with the spoke angle or just bothers you, this would be an option.

There are threads were the spoke angle is much worse than you have and it lasts.

by zorbas » Sep 19 2021 7:27am

I have juste finished building a 700C wheel with a RH212 hub motor and Sapim e-strong spokes. The way the spoke bends just after the nipple makes me a bit nervous. Is it acceptable to have such small bent? The spoke angle is a bit more than 70 degree so I thought it would be OK. The nipples though are going straight out of the rim (no angle) and therefore there is a tsmall "lever arm" with the rim.
I am worried about the effort on the rim holes and therefore on the strength of the wheel itself.

Do you think it is acceptable/safe?

Thanks ZeroEm, yes, I think I will rebuild it with a new set of spokes. It should look like the picture below. The current build is worrying me too much.
Capture d’écran 2021-09-19 à 19.00.56.png

Was trying to put you at ease. Not to worry, if it bothers you that much and want to.

No harm in building/lacing your own wheels. It is work but if you follow the guides it is not hard. Then you will not have a problem with checking your spokes later. Had to tighten mine after 500 miles. Have put another 5000 miles miles on that with no issues.

The dealer who sold me the hub and the spokes told me not to worry too much about it too. There is a shortage with the e-Strong Sapim spokes and so I will wait a while and check the state of my wheel regulary.
I have been riding approx 50 km with it with no signs of weakness in the wheel so far.

My rear spokes look like that too and has not been an issue as long as you keep them tight. Have had to tighten mine one time after 500 miles. that was over two years ago.

zorbas said:
The dealer who sold me the hub and the spokes told me not to worry too much about it too. There is a shortage with the e-Strong Sapim spokes and so I will wait a while and check the state of my wheel regulary.
I have been riding approx 50 km with it with no signs of weakness in the wheel so far.

Well, if you have problems in the long run (likely), then relace it with no spoke crossings at all. The interrupted hub drilling will provide more than enough moment at the rim to tolerate all the torque.

Similar "problem", after multiple spokes broke at nipples, I did remove spokes and drilled holes larger to allow nipples to 'swing" straight with spokes. Nipples are beveled for angling in proper size holes.

Tip - tie, wrap or tape spokes at crossings, remove all nipples (cordless drill w/slot bit, remove hub-spoke assembly, re-drill all holes, reverse procedure for assembly.
Tip - put white dot on drill chuck to help count equal number of turns

Back