rivnut material selection.

jimmyhackers

10 kW
whats the best type of rivnut for an aluminum frame? aluminum zinc or stainless?

i have one with a bolt stuck in it and the rivnut itself is spinning :S

do you need it to install a battery or just trying to fix it
I like the aluminium ones as I think bit softer making them easier to install on thin alloy tube wall , the installation rivet guns where you squeeze the handle only bout 15 quid could try re tighten the rivnut with one it if lucky,
but is a useful tool to have there is also the bolt with two nuts counter rotated method to tighten rivnut but is not the best
, above tool is pretty much essential for installing batteries then you can put rivnuts where needed maybe skip spinning one altogether , if you do decide remove old one by grinding head off letting fall inside sometimes can be removed by holes inside bottom bracket or head tube that lead to downtube on some frames, sometimes the resuting hole is just to big to replace with normal m5 rivnut in this case I have moved up to an m6 with no issues good luck :mrgreen:

i managed to get the bolt out today (vice grips ftw),the tools on order.

im installing a battery. 4.5kg frame mount box thingy with internal bms. only place it will fit is on the lower frame tube

there are two rivnuts in there already. i plan on tightening them and putting in two more for the battery (4xm5 in total) will this be enough?.

ive order a set of aluminium rivnut inserts, i guess aluminum on aluminium should be ok. aslong as the steel bolts dont rip out the threads.

My battery (52V, 14 ah, so probably eight pounds) is attached to a steel frame with two water bottle mounts, but I put a strap around for extra security. You might also look at Minoura SM-2835, universal and adjustable space mounting clamp. A couple should be adequate (with a strap).

Clean the metal and put a dab of quality super-glue around the hole prior to installing the new rivnuts.
Belt and Suspenders ("braces" for the folks across the pond).

yeah bit of epoxy never hurt :wink: an m5 rivnut hole is 6.5 mm I like it to be really tight fit so drill to 6mm then I use a flat bladed screw driver and push in hole and rotate the sloping edge sides of the screwdriver slowly ream and de burr hole to just right size keep checking as don't want to far , :mrgreen:

Back