SQUEAKING NOISE

tmho

1 kW
I found squeaking noise from the rear wheel of my Norco Kokanee. I have uploaded a video to Youtube https://youtu.be/8pSukSNUSpo

It is not from the disc brake. Can somebody help me to find out where the noise coming from?

I'm guessing a rubber hub seal, or something wound up behind the cassette.

Put a drop of chain lube at the edges of the left side hub dustcap and see if that doesn't make a difference. If that doesn't do it, you'll probably have to take off the wheel and cassette to find the problem.

Chalo said:

Put a drop of chain lube at the edges of the left side hub dustcap and see if that doesn't make a difference. If that doesn't do it, you'll probably have to take off the wheel and cassette to find the problem.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I added a drop of chain lube at the edges of the dust cap on the rotor side. It seems not much difference.

I took out the wheel and turn the axle with my fingers. I felt that the axle was not turning smoothly. Then on the rotor side, I took the lock nut, washer and cup out. It seems that the cup is not worn out. The ball bearings are with yellow grease but I am not sure if it is enough. I added some more grease but not yellow in colour. Will this be ok to mix the two greases together?

Then I put the parts back. There was no more such noise when I tried to rotate the rear wheel with the bike upside down. I also rode the bike for a few km after that. But when I put the bike back on a training stand and rotate the rear wheel, I still got the noise but this time not as frequent as before. Please see the video: https://youtu.be/mvTawVTLljI

(For the training stand, I modified it so that the rear wheel is not touching anything for repair purpose).

Is the noise caused by not enough grease at the ball bearings? Should I check the cup and ball bearing on the other side? Or is the noise is caused by others reasons?

IMG_5352.JPG

E-HP said:
Chalo said:

Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing: :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCJzg-gSNkQ
Could you explain more what exactly I should look for when I try to open the other side of the hub?

Today, I rode for about 20km. After that, the creaking/squeaking noise becomes more just like in the first video.
Can anybody help?

I would do a thorough cleaning of the ball bearings and the retaining cup they sit in. Clean up all of the old grease because it could be contaminated with dirt. Use automotive brake cleaner, acetone or even windex to get it perfectly clean. Put back together with new grease. Taking out the ball bearings and cleaning them separately is what I do. Make sure you don’t over tighten the nut that holds the bearings in place and lock that with a jam nut turning the two against each other. Not doing this could result in inadvertently over tightening the bearings when you tighten the axle nut down.

Did you take off the cassette and look for anything weird going on behind it? If you have a plastic spoke protector, it should be under suspicion in this case.

Finally, I have fixed the noise problem by following Chalo's suggestion.

I have to say sorry to Chalo because I did not follow his suggestion strictly at the first time. He suggested "Put a drop of chain lube at the edges of the left side hub dustcap". I overlooked the word "edges". I only put a drop to the inner edge at the first time and could not solve the problem. Today, I put chain lube to the outer edge as well and the noise has gone.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

IMG_5359[1].jpg

I'm glad you figured it out, and that it was easy.

Back