Are these wheels not laced properly?

gomyles

1 W
Hey guys,

I ordered some of these QS205 motors and had them laced by Green Pedel, but when they arrived I realized that they are straight laced with no cross pattern.

Are these gonna hold up? Or do these need to be torn down and relaced?

DSC-0156.jpg

1.jpg

I guess I should have used the search and realized that this is a method of lacing called radial lacing.

Would still love anyone's input if they have experience or knowledge about this style of lacing and if I should have any concerns.

Thank you in advance!

I think part of the answer is going to depend on how that rim/motor is going to be used. Weight? Power?

I've laced 29" MTB rims with radial lacing successfully. IMO, satisfactory for this system with its short spokes.

The bigger the hub, the smaller the rim, the more it's satisfactory to use radial lacing on a drive wheel. I have had no problems whatsoever, or even maintenance, with my radially laced 20"front wheel with a big Crystalyte 5305 hub that has accumulated many thousands of miles.

Those look like thick zinc plated steel spokes that might be crappy, so if they start breaking, be prepared to relace the wheel with better spokes. But it won't be because of the lacing pattern.

Front hubs dont have the load
...... unless you have a cargo bike with a heavy load in the front.

On a regular bike, 380lbs of human plus ebike stuff, rear hub I had lots of problems.
Problem after problem

Same setup with 135mm rear hub but now front hub (literally the same laced hub on a fat bike fork 135mm), I could have 4 broken spokes and wobbly tire and no problems have progressed at all and still running fine over months and months of daily riding with literally that same setup but on the front.

Having that same setup but going back to the rear, more spokes would be broken, flat tires galore and wouldnt last 2 weeks. 26" wheel, Leaf 1500W, 1X, Sapime spokes (13g or 13/14g), Sapim nips, good Alex rim, following proper lacing procedure to the T. But, same setup on the front it was months and months I rode with 4 broken spokes, since repaired, since straightened.

Thinner spokes are better for longevity, it goes against most peoples urges when it comes to bicycle stuff.

Thanks for all the replies,

This is a rear QS205 which is intended to go on a Stealth Enduro Style EBike with big power, like 8000W.

There is going to be a lot of torque on these wheels for sure.

Fingers are crossed that these will hold up but now I've verified my doubts.

gomyles said:
Thanks for all the replies,

This is a rear QS205 which is intended to go on a Stealth Enduro Style EBike with big power, like 8000W.

There is going to be a lot of torque on these wheels for sure.

Fingers are crossed that these will hold up but now I've verified my doubts.

8000w in mind, or even half of that, you might be time and money ahead to go to a different pattern right away I would think.

No, you can certainly get a cross in there. Mine is crossed. No prob. Galvanized spokes are bad tho. I would much rather have crossed spokes personally.

zerodish said:
Radial spoking breaks flanges.

Cross-1 spoking also breaks flanges, but those two patterns are usually all we have to choose from when building hub motor wheels. The flanges of these motors aren't exactly thin and delicate, so it's usually not an issue.

Back