Too thick cable

Kirill

1 W
Hi everybody!

I have a problem. I can’t to change cable on my MAC motor. I inserted some wires without the outer braid. It helped for six months. And couple hall's wires was is damaged.
Impossible to insert cable into the axle like this. He's too thick. https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...g/l1019-f.html

As I understand one way it's to change the axle?

May be have some another way resolve this problem?

Where can I buy another axle?

Thank you for answers.

For an axle different from the original, you'd have to design and make it (or have it designed and made for you by a machinist). If you do make one of these, I recommend putting the wire exit inboard of teh dropout if it is not already, to protect it more against damage than if it just sticks out of the axle end.

Some people have been able to dremel or file the axle's wire channel just enough larger to make a tight bundle fit thru easier; it may not compromise the axle's strength enough to be a problem, but it is possible that it could if too much material is removed.

Other options for getting wire bundles thru an axle include the one you tried, leaving off the thicker outer jacket of a bundle, but instead of leaving them bare, use a tough but thin heatshrink or other sleeve over the part that goes thru the axle, and ensure the cable is supported near the axle exit so it will not move so much that the wiring can be damaged. You can also add a metal deflection plate or cup around the axle to prevent damage to the exit point.

Teflon wire may help, as noted above.

Using a water based lubricant (so it doesn't have oils that could damage insulation) to help get a tight fitting cable thru the axle can help.

Also, sometimes it's easier to pass the wire thru from the inside of the motor to the outside than the other way around.

If the cable being used has extra wires in it you're not using, then if there is any way to pull out the ones you don't need, that may make the bundle small enough to fit.

nicobie said:
Teflon insulated wires are a lot thinner than regular or silicone ones, maybe they will help.
Sure thing. But the outer diameter is 9mm. It’s too much for axle with edges 10 mm.

Yes, reaming the axle is wrong way.
Very difficult to make the custom-made axle. I wanted to buy the axle like in video from GMAC. They also sell this Teflon-braided cable which impossible insert from the end into the axle. There are insert cable from the side.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-09-at-9.37.38-PM.png

amberwolf said:
Using a water based lubricant (so it doesn't have oils that could damage insulation) to help get a tight fitting cable thru the axle can help.

I never tried this, but I would imagine that lubrication should make a HUGE difference when pulling a cable.

Silicone grease should be safe on pretty much any wire jacket.

Comrade said:
I never tried this, but I would imagine that lubrication should make a HUGE difference when pulling a cable.

Thanks! I will try add grease.

Comrade said:
Or could use commonly available and trusted product made especially for this problem, widely used everyday by electricians:

https://www.thespruce.com/wire-pulling-compound-or-cable-lube-1152898

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/wire-pulling/wire-and-cable-pulling-lubricant

Back