Nuvinci N171 leak

rproctor

100 µW
I am in the final stages of my ebike conversion and have discovered that my N171 hub is leaking. It's probably done less than 200KM, but they are quite old in a way and seals do dry out.
I have read Craig Calfee's comments
https://calfee22.rssing.com/chan-75967068/article12.html

" Heat. In hot climates and under hard use, some hubs will leak oil. It appears to be caused by the large hub shell expanding slightly and allowing the black threaded plate to lose it’s seal. We’ve opened them up and wrapped the threads with teflon tape. Warming up the hub shell (expanding it) before closing it back up again will further help seal it. Note that it’s difficult to break the seal on a new hub if you have the thought to do this job preemptively. It’s recommended to not try this as most hubs don’t leak."

I have got to the stage shown in the photo but am unsure how to proceed from here.
Has anyone done this procedure and can comment on the best strategy from here.
Thanks
Richard

Attachments

• IMG-4725.JPG
    IMG-4725.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 275
I was given the answer so here it is for anyone else
"You would now grab the black plate either with a large wrench or pin spanner on the 4 disc brake adapter mounting bolts or on the disc brake adapter itself. Turn the plate counter clockwise with a helper holding the wheel steady. If it puts up a fight, you can try heating the hub shell with a heat gun. If it really doesn't want to release without some form of damage, then you may have to put up with the leak until it seals itself. That has happened also. Note that the amount of fluid in the hub is more than really needed. I think they anticipated some leakage."

The axle seal on the freewheel side leaks a little. I was told by EcoCycles owner that slight leakage is normal and not to worry about it. That there is more than enough fluid in the hub.

Back