Hydraulic brakes - adjustment & mineral oil

Is there any way to adjust hydraulic disc brakes on bikes? With mechanical brakes you
can move the pads in and out, but pads on hydraulic brakes ? And if it is a mineral oil system, can
you just use mineral oil from the drug store? Thanks

you'll have to look at the manual for your specific brakes for the exact adjustment method and acceptable fluids.

which specific brand and model of brakes do you have?

Hi.
Don't use drugstore oil.
The mineral oil used in brakes is a low viscosity refined petroleum oil, similar to industrial hydraulic fluids or automatic transmission fluid.

You will find more info on adjustments on mountain bike forums/sites/youtube channels, than on ones dedicated to electric bikes.

Avner.

As ferret said, use ATF if you don't have easy access to proper bicycle brake fluid. More than thirty years ago, I made the same mistake you are proposing with my Magura hydraulic rim brake, and the results were super lame.

You will need more than just replacement fluid if you wish to bleed your brakes. There are various proprietary fittings and syringes that are necessary to do the job effectively. For the cost of tooling up to service your own hydraulic brakes, you could replace them with cable actuated brakes that are easier to service, and won't contaminate their own pads.

Most bicycle hydraulic brake levers only have reach adjustment, but a few (mostly expensive ones) have bite point adjustment.

For mineral oil, I would stick with a known brand. I have always used Shimano and never had a problem with it.

Every hydraulic calliper I have come across has not had any adjustment possibility. normally there is an adjustment that can be made at the brake lever.
But this only changes the start point, of when the brakes start.
If you are running out of travel that brake lever adjustment does not take care of, then first, make an inspection if the brake components. Worn discs and pads can go beyond the capable travel of the calliper.
If this is okay, then there is a trick to change the calliper free play by slightly over filling the system.
The following video explains this quite well, but do ensure nothing is worn beyond limits before trying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLF56banjs&t=798s&ab_channel=ozcycle

Back